Seeing a NY Times article about how to bargain down your medical bills reminded me how many of us don’t have health insurance, especially after all the rounds of layoffs that have accompanied the present economic downturn. I didn’t have health insurance for two years after college and managed to get along alright with the help of some great neighborhood resources, namely the Seattle Vocational Institute’s Dental Assistant Program and the Country Doctor Community Clinic.
However, it’s hard to use these resources if you don’t know about them. See below for more links below to no and low-cost health care programs in Seattle and King County:
- Free and Low-Cost Health Insurance List from King County
- Washington State 211: Community Resources Online Database
- The Virtual College’s Health Care Resource List for the Seattle area
- Communi-Chi – a community acupuncture clinic that offers treatments on a sliding scale from $15-35.
- Public Health Dental Clinics managed by King County
- King County’s list of Community Health Centers, dental and general health
- The Seattle PI’s list of where to find low-cost dental care