Though their fixation on the ‘bus bulb’ part of the project kind of misses the point, Slog does remind that Pike and Pine below Broadway are getting a series of pedestrian-friendly improvements in coming weeks.
- Installation of signal-related improvements
- Installation of “bus bulbs” (mid-block curb bulbs) to improve passenger loading and unloading, and the speed of transit service along the corridor
- Construction of curb bulbs to narrow crossing distances for pedestrians
- Installation of updated curb/wheel chair ramps to meet City and ADA standards
- Construction of a new sidewalk along the north side of Pine Street (on the bridge structure over Interstate 5) between
- Terry Avenue and Minor Avenue that provides a much needed pedestrian walkway
Installation of continuous, well-marked bicycle facilities
The city’s before and after images are a little subtle — in the overpass rendering, look for the addition of the sidewalk on the left side of the after image. In the bus bulb image, you can see a modest outcrop of sidewalk at the crosswalk.