Adding pictures from the day (and night) plus this field report from Lauren:
Capitol Hill is swarming with Santas this afternoon! What started as a Facebook and Yahoo group has turned into a drunken swarm of red and white velvet as Santas of all kinds take to the streets with megaphones, boom boxes and hula hoops. More than 1,000 people are expected to participate.
They are headed to Cal Anderson Park for a while, then hitting up Cafe Metropolitain and other local pubs. Santa told me they’re partying till 4 a.m., so go grab your Santa hat and join the party!
Depending on where you fall on the Grinch spectrum, Seattle Santarchy either means a surreal experience watching a group of Santas invade bars and have a holly, jolly Christmas — or an irritating experience watching a bunch of douchebags make asses of themselves in holiday costumes. Or you have a Santa hat on, a warm red suit and are already so drunk that you don’t give an egg nog what people think.
Anyway, it starts today at noon right here on Capitol Hill. 12p at Elysian. Consider this an invitation or a warning. SPOILER ALERT: Part of the ‘fun’ of the Santa invasion is running into the group unexpectedly but we found a proposed itinerary for the group and have posted it at the bottom of this post. Somehow we wouldn’t be surprised if a) they don’t follow this itinerary and b) if they do, they won’t stay on schedule.
CHS has a cub reporter embedded with the unit so we’re expecting some amount of coverage from the battlefield. Wish her luck.
- Noon – 1:00 p.m. – Elysian Brewing Company
- 1:00 – 2:30 p.m. – Comet Tavern
- 2:45 – 4:00 p.m. – Cal-Anderson Park Santalympics
- 4:00 – 5:30 p.m. – Cafe Metropolitan
- 5:30 – 5:45 p.m. – Denny Way Overpass Banner hanging
- 5:45 – 6:00 p.m. – REI Renegade X-Mas Decorating and Naughty Carol Singing
- 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. – Hurricane Cafe Dinner and Drinks
- 8:30 – 9:00 p.m. – Pass through Belltown (Buddha Bar, Shortys, Whiskey Bar, etc)
- 9:00 p.m. – NITELITE Tradition!
- 11:30 – till Santa falls down