Seattle’s march to big city status continues. The most recent qualifier? Tragic pet electrocution death blamed on city utilities. Though it happened off-Hill, this Queen Anne dog’s Thanksgiving day electrocution might be on the mind of a few Capitol Hill pet owners as they walk their dog through our heavily wired urban landscape:
He was walking along QA Ave, near Bricco, my daughter stepped aside to let another dog pass, and moved onto the electric plate near a lamp post.
He started screaming and went into convulsions, and died. We took him to the emergency hospital, where they gave him CPR for 30 minutes, to no avail. Seattle PD cordoned off the street, and Seattle City Light cut power to the block to investigate.
Seattle City Light’s communications director Suzanne Hartman tells CHS the investigation into the tragic death of Sammy continues but that her department has determined that a problem with a low voltage SCL circuit in a nearby utility pole was to blame. “This is a not a stray voltage problem like on the East Coast,” Hartman said referring to the decay or mis-installation of wiring systems that has been blamed in a 2004 East Village death and many other NYC and BOS area incidents. The only difference, though, appears to be a matter of volts — Hartman said the Queen Anne incident involved voltage of below 120v.
Hartman said City Light crews inspected the streets around the site of the electrocution and found no other danger points. “Something happened,” Hartman said. “We hope to have something out to the media soon.”
One thing that happened was snow and slush. Add a dog on a walk and you have the recipe for several of the East Coast incidents. In a La Niña winter, maybe Capitol Hill will feel even more like NYC — watch where you step, doggy.