It’s time for another batch of Capitol Hill commerce. Know something we don’t? email@example.com, please.
- Lots of storylines to the Wednesday morning opening of a new Umpqua Bank branch on Broadway. A tenant in Joule’s massive retail space. The unveiling of a new ‘cafe’ concept for Umpqua’s banking ‘stores.’ Five new jobs on Broadway. A new CHS advertiser (yay!). But our favorite storyline is that, even if it’s only marketing, they’ve got a pretty good bead on the neighborhood. Store manager Stacey Krynsky tells us the bank’s first Hill promotion will be Saturday when they host a free Santa Paws pet photo day. She also says the open space of the branch’s design can be used for meetings and that she’s up for working with community groups to put it to use. We talked to Umpqua about their plans for Broadway — their fourth Seattle banking location — back in August. Umpqua is located at 539 Broadway East.
- A different storyline down in Pike/Pine where the City Home Store’s windows at 517 East Pike have been papered over as the home furnishing store has become the latest Hill retailer to go Internet only. The online store isn’t up and running yet but here’s the message posted at http://www.cityhomestore.com:
Our customers tell us that they want more selection, lower prices and online convenience. In response we will focus on completing and launching our online store which will feature 100′s of designer-selected products for your home at the lowest possible prices–shipped direct to your door!
Thanks to Kenneth for the tip.
- Around the corner from Whimsy — where they’re going online-only sale continues — the 14th Avenue Salon is now open for bidness. In a comment on the post we ran in October about the new life being breathed into the former home of watch shop Tiempo, 14th Ave owner Lori Anderson announced the opening:
We will be open for business tomorrow, December 7th! We are a full service salon. $18.00 for clipper cuts, $22.00 – $35.00 for regular haircuts. Call us or stop by for more information. 1511 14th Ave (206)568-5366 Thanks, Lori Anderson Our OPEN HOUSE will be on Tuesday, December 14th, from 5:00pm – 9:00pm. See you then!
- We noted in a recent of biz notes the disappearance of the Swoon salon from the Braeburn retail at 15th and Pine. A new tenant is in place for a salon concept called Polished. We’re still checking into this but it *looks* like the owner might be a DDS??? Could this place be a tooth salon? If this is a nail place, we’re going to look a little silly. Oh well. UPDATE: We’re silly. Nails it is.
- 12th and Pike has some new life. A business called the Crow’s Nest (good name!) has taken roost in the space vacated by the ill-fated Snowmonkey’s House of Monsters. We’re told it’s an artist studio that is open for retail. We’ll add more when we hear back from zee arteest. Meanwhile, we don’t know when they slipped into the picture but Phoenix Art Restoration either magically appeared at 12th and Pike or we’re embarrassed to admit we missed their move-in. Regardless, you can learn more about their business at http://phoenixartrestoration.com/
- Capitol Hill Chamber of Commerce holiday party is Wednesday night: “This Wednesday is our Holiday Party! 6pm @Still_Liquor Treats by @homegrownian @calfandkid @fuelhigh5 & @StreetTreatsWa ! Come by & say hi.”
- We hear different things about the retail season thus far on Capitol Hill but this upcoming weekend’s Babeland-driven Pike n’ Pine neighborhood sale should help put some more bodies in the stores. CHS is a co-sponsor. Want to get involved? Drop us a line and we’ll let people know about your amazing holiday offer, too. Merry #CHXmas.
- Finally, nothing says happy holidays like your friendly neighborhood merchants painting seasonal displays on their front windows. Leave it to Capitol Hill to make it weird. Thanks to Marty for the image from Madison’s Courtesy Tire and @bigmariospizza for, um, sharing.
- UPDATE Bonus Item: More of a food and drink item but food and drink is biz, too, especially on the Hill. Seattle Magazine is reporting that food truck Marination Mobile is planning to open its own brick and mortar restaurant on the Hill on Harvard next to QFC. Thanks to @quazie for the tip.