The second weekend in June, 2011. The weekend you had so much to do on Capitol Hill. Things to add? Put your Capitol Hill events on the (free!) CHS Calendar. Citywide fun? Let our pals at The SunBreak know.
Thursday, June 9
- Blitz! Capitol Hill Art Walk 2nd Anniversary: The Hill’s monthly art and shopping event was re-re-revived in 2009 and celebrates two years and counting Thursday night with some great shows and special tours. CHS is a happy co-sponsor.
Join one of the tours led by mustachioed local artists as they highlight a selection of June’s shows and venues. Tour participants are encouraged to BYOM, and mustaches will be provided for the mustache-less.
Joey Veltkamp’s Bear Picks!
meet at Vermillion Gallery
1508 11th Ave
An easy art walk for lazy people and/or people who like to drink. We’ll meet up at Vermillion, have a drink and chat for a minute and check out the art within a 2 block radius. Beards and fake mustaches are highly encouraged!
STart Wall Project: Love, Loss and the Moveable City
meet at YourCapitolHill.com sign at the corner of E John and Broadway E
Curious about the murals and installations round the big red wall in the middle of Capitol Hill? Jennifer Babuca, STart Program Coordinator, will lead the group around the Sound Transit construction wall, re-envisioned as an exhibition of temporary public art, including work by SpecsOne, Tim Marsden, Joey Veltkamp, Seattle Experimental Animation Team, Cameron Larson, Evan Blackwell, Baso Fibonacci, Vida Rose, and more.
Trip Down Idea Avenue (11th) with Jesse Higman
meet at Cal Anderson Park entrance at 11th and Denny
Take a 40 minute trip down Idea Avenue (11th Ave.) with Seattle artist Jesse Higman, winner of City Arts Magazine’s Art Walk Award. Start by crossing the street to pour a painting in Seattle Jesse’s studio. Continue down 11th to the studios of Greg Boudreau (fellow Art Walk Award nominee) and Trapeze Studio. Pass through Hugo House gardens, the layers of posters, drizzled tags, practice spaces and rendezvous. Follow signs with Jesse down to where the ideas are distilled.
The Belly Button of Blitz! Olive Way Mustache Tour
Meet at Ghost Gallery
504 East Denny Way, corner of E Denny and Summit Ave
Charming local artists Michael “Full Face” Alm (i.e., mustachioed + bearded) and Kendal “Femistache” Tull-Esterbrook guide you on this walking tour up Olive Way.
Do Pike/Pine With Ellen Forney
meet at Frame Central
901 E Pike
Cartoonist and Blitz co-organizer Ellen Forney guides you in and out of selected venues on Pike and Pine.
- Tyson Anthony Roberts brings Pixel Pusher with Mad Rad’s DJ Darwin to Ghost Gallery
- Frequent CHS Flickr Pool contributor Lauren Colton shows at Atlas
- Franchise Player at Throwbacks NW
- City Council Kick-off: The first big election event of the year on Capitol Hill gathers candidates for Seattle’s City Council in a Pike/Pine bar and turns you loose on them. Havana. 5:30p.
- The New Spain tasting at Vino Verite
Friday, June 10
- Formal Inquiry: The Sonata Undressed at Velocity Dance Center (all weekend): “Featuring the work of composer/pianist Carrie Purcell, poet Amy Schrader, visual artist Kate Protage, and many more, Formal Inquiry’s participating artists have been working within and against centuries-old structures, the sonnet and the sonata, to create innovative work in a variety of media.”
- Juneteenth celebration all weekend at the Central District’s Pratt Park
- Scenic Drive E Pike factory hosts Etsy Global Craft Party — Seattle Edition
- Threshold International Dance Festival at Raisbeck Hall
- STIFF: A Jazzman’s Jazzman at NW Film Forum
- The Naked Truth spoken word at Faire Gallery
- Glazer’s Camera Annual Photo Festival. 4p. Harrison and Republican. All weekend.
- Dylan Ward’s Iteration – A Walk, a walking performance in Cal Anderson, 7:30p. Also Saturday and Sunday at 4 and 7:30p. Free.
- Check out Seattle Gay Scene’s weekend calendar for Pride-related events and more
Saturday, June 11
- 2011 Capitol Hill Garage Sale Day: Our fourth annual Garage Sale Day. Map and sales roster here. Most sales run 10a-3p.
- Serendipity: Free dance party in Volunteer Park. 12-8p
- Light rail construction tours:
Look behind the red wall: Capitol Hill community event and Link light rail construction site tours
June 11, 2011 — 11:00 am – 1:00 pm — Cal Anderson Park –10th Avenue between John Street and Denny Way — Capitol Hill neighborhood Seattle, WA
Capitol Hill community event featuring music group Toy Boats (playing from 11:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.), Come by and learn about Sound Transit and its light rail construction projects. Bring the family to enjoy balloon animals and face-painting. Link light rail construction site tours will also be given. View the tunnel boring machine as it prepares to launch towards downtown Seattle. Please be sure to wear sturdy shoes. People wearing open-toed shoes will not be allowed onto the site.
- Georgetown Carnival, noon to 8p
- UW commencement. Husky Stadium.
- Inspire Well Volume 4: Nourish at Gay City Health Project
- The Punany Poets at Broadway Performance Hall
- Emerald City Softball Association Hall of Fame ceremony at R Place
- Noise for the Needy at the Wildrose
- Capitol Hill Night Market returns for its second week on Harvard between Pike and Pine
Sunday, June 12
- Broadway farmers market, 11a-3p
- Seattle Jewish Chorale at Town Hall Seattle
- Author of Modern Homestead: Grow, Raise, Create appears at Elliott Bay Book Co.
- BadWill flea-market at HG Lodge. 1-9p.
- Seattle University commencement ceremony. Key Arena.
- Bluebird Ice Cream hosts The West, Witch Gardens and Cig Bros in concert
Monday, June 13