Next weekend, Party Mountain will exhaust itself as the 2011 Capitol Hill Block Party plays out in Pike/Pine. Consider this weekend a bit of a quiet lull. But not too quiet. Want to include your Capitol Hill event in the mix? Add it to the 100% free and community-driven CHS Calendar.
Wednesday, July 13
- Sorrento debuts its 2011 summer block parties:
- Ideas for the overhaul of the Volunteer Park playground will be presented at a public meeting at the site. 4-6p
- The community group formed to figure out how to make 12th Ave a safer place for pedestrians and bicyclists meets tonight
- SBO: Music from the City of Light: Paris Enlightenment at Town Hall
- A series of conversations with Indian authors continues at SAAM. Tonight: Tarun Tejpal and Nayantara Sahgal
Seattle’s iconic Sorrento Hotel will host a Block Party in the hotel’s courtyard area on select Wednesday nights from 5 – 7 p.m. starting on July 13. The party is free and open to the public and there will be live entertainment. The Hunt Club will offer a special, extended happy hour menu with dishes prepared by Executive Chef Ivan Szilak. To top off there will also be a keg for community members to enjoy.
Thursday, July 14
- July’s Capitol Hill art walk marches forth this week. As usual, you can find highlights of the showings on https://www.facebook.com/CapitolHillArtsWalk or get the latest walking map at http://www.blitzcapitolhill.com. Some things to check out include Bob Marley concert photos at Poco Wine Room, Red Light Nights Bastille Day Edition at Canoe Social Club on E. Loretta Pl, the latest PENETRATION after-party at the Unicorn and Music for the Peoples at People’s Republic of Koffee.
- 30 years of AIDS/HIV in Seattle red wall project debuts. 7p
- Seattle Gay Scene 4th Anniversary Party at Lobby Bar
- Check out new installation STILL at 12th Ave’s Lee Center for the Arts (Thursday to Sunday, 1:30p through August 6th)
- Celebrate Bastille Day at Cafe Presse
- All-day French wine tasting at 12th and Olive Wine
- Werewolves Across America screens at Northwest Film Forum with live performance by Viking Moses
- Little Book debuts at Little Theatre on 19th Ave E
- Cupcake Royale’s promotion to raise funds for the It Gets Better Project was a big success. Thursday afternoon as Capitol Hill’s July art walk gets underway, owner Jody Hall will present Capitol Hill writer and advocate Dan Savage with a big check to support the project that works to stamp out bullying of LGBT youth:
You’ve heard us talk about our mega bake sale for The Gay cupcake last month, right? During the prideful month of June, we wanted to use our super powers for good and we set a goal to raise $5,000 for the It Gets Better Project. Turns out the community went wild for the idea and gobbled up The Gay cupcake so we decided to double our donation.
This Thursday, we’d like to invite you to come celebrate with us as Cupcake Royale founder Jody Hall presents Dan Savage with a check for $10,000 for the It Gets Better Project. Jody, Dan and a Pride Foundation scholar will all say a few words about the personal importance of this project. And if you didn’t get a chance to sample The Gay during the month of June, it will be making a limited reappearance for this event.
Thursday, July 14th at 4:30pm
Cupcake Royale, 1111 E Pike Street
- Also Thursday night, the Lobby Bar is host to the Seattle Gay Scene 4-year anniversary bash. We’ve been supporters of SGS from the start because, hey, we have a soft spot for online-only underdogs (and the fact they were willing to try out our advertising self-serve tools didn’t hurt the relationship, either). Stop by Thursday night to give the guys a birthday smooch.
- Last, but definitely not least made-up, Seattle’s Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence — The Abbey of St. Joan contingent is celebrating 15 years of fun and service with a “traditional” quinceañera:
Can you believe we’ve been dragging our pasty white, glitter-encrusted mugs around Seattle and the far reaches of Washington State for 15 years?
What could be a better way, then, to celebrate our Anniversary Spectacular than with our very own Quinceañera!
In the finest Latin tradition of being the center of attention, we are painting sugar skulls and twisting crepe flowers in anticipation of these exciting celebrations (naturally we will be repeating all of this next year for the finest tradition of being the center of attention known as the “Sweet Sixteen” party):
Thursday the 14th: Latin-themed Bear-eoke! The Cuff Complex (1533 13th ave), 8:00 pm – Midnight.
Friday the 15th: Fiesta in the Park! Seattle Central Community College. (Time to be announced) Games for kids and adults alike!
Saturday the 16th: Anniversary Celebration and the 2011 Grant Awards! Chapel Bar (1600 Melrose), 8:00 pm – ?. The theme of the evening is “Dia de la Monja Muerte” (Day of the Nun Dead). Come for the cake, stay for the Grant Awards! It’s that special time of the year when we give thousands back to the community from The Sisters’ Charity Grant Fund!
Friday, July 15
- Volunteer Park’s summer Bollywood outdoor film fest debuts with showing of Black.
- ABC journalist Bob Woodruff talks military veterans at Seattle University.
- Under Construction series at Velocity Dance Center. 1:45p
- Hobo with a Shotgun at Central Cinema
- Summer sale at Babeland
- Heavy Petting burlesque at Re-Bar
- @ParfaitIceCream: We’re in SODO at Starbucks Headquarters from 12-2pm, then CAPITOL HILL @VictrolaCoffee 5:30-9pm. http://t.co/dUrg2G6
Saturday, July 16
- Arrh! A Dinosaur Ate My Space Ship continues in Volunteer Park. Saturdays and Sundays, 5p
- Milk carton derby with natural food corporate sponsor at Green Lake
- How to Shoot Video that Doesn’t Suck at Elliott Bay Book Co.
- Perfect Day Publishing Celebrates the Release of “Yeah. No. Totally.” by Lisa Wells at Hugo House
- Gay City LGBT library book club 1-2p
- Blue Plate Special featuring Sylvia O’Stayformore at Re-Bar
- FIRST AID KIT benefit for Lifelong AIDS Alliance at Chloe Apartments, 12-4p
- Mad Homes public opening, 4-7p. We wrote about the project here.
Sunday, July 17
- Poetry + Motion: Freedom! at Town Hall
- 8 Limbs Yoga birth preparation class
- Taking Punk to the Masses with Jacob McMurray at Elliott Bay Book Co.
- @BigMariosPizza: This Sunday is our 1 year party!!! Kissing Booth! $1 Cheese and $1 Rolling Rock all day. http://ow.ly/i/enDu
Monday, July 18
- Local experts talk about things they don’t know shit about as Trampoline Hall Lectures comes to Town Hall.