We’re pretty much suckers for the stuff Pine Box is doing these days. The result: so much free advertising. Sorry. Here’s more. The Melrose beer hall is holding the second in its summer series of beer can derbies Sunday afternoon. CHS captured the sporty action at Pine Box’s preliminaries this spring. Details on this weekend’s derby are below. For more to do this weekend on Capitol Hill — including Saturday’s East Precinct picnic on 12th Ave — check out the latest On the List.
Pine Box Can Derby
The Second Sundays of July, August, and September at 2 pm we’ll be kicking off the races. There will be winners for each day, and overall winners for the series!
Same rules apply except your can must be made 100% out of cans. No wood chassis allowed any longer.Build Your own at Home!
ALL CARS MUST PASS INSPECTION TO QUALIFY FOR THE RACE
Following are the inspection points
1. The can weight shall not exceed 5.0 ounces. The official race scale shall be considered final.
2. The overall length of the can shall not exceed 7 inches.
3. The overall width of the can shall not exceed 2 ¾ inches.
4. The can must have 1 ¾” clearance between the wheels.
5. The can must have 3/8” clearance underneath the body.
6. The can may be shaped any way that is desired.
7. The can must be freewheeling, with no starting devices.
Each can must pass inspection by the official inspection committee before it will be allowed to compete. The Inspection Committee has the responsibility to disqualify those cans that do not meet these specifications.
Pro Division – Cans built at home ahead of time.
Open Build Division – Cans built on site using what we have to offer.
Wheel sets will be sold for $2