Blocks around Broadway were closed to traffic and buildings were cleared Thursday morning as a gas leak in the central core of Capitol Hill forced police and Seattle Fire to clear the area due to fumes and fire risk. A construction crew accidentally drilled into a gas line in front of the Tully’s at Pike and Broadway shortly after 11:30 a.m. The accident released potent clouds of gas into the area, prompting SFD and SPD to shut down streets from E Pine to E Union, and from Harvard to 10th ave. SFD is unsure how long it will take to shut the line down as Puget Sound Energy is currently on the scene attempting to turn it off. People are being evacuated from the area, and businesses are being told to shut their doors.
While the smell is less than savory, the leak is not deadly. The major concern now according to SFD, is making sure a spark doesn’t ignite in the area. All construction work in the vicinity has stopped to prevent any possible ignition, and SFD is confident most of the risky variables have been eliminated. The Pike/Pine corridor is effectively a stinky ghost town now—plan on detours if you’re driving or walking by today.
CHS will provide details as they come.