Seattle Fire crews responded to the renovated 1912 building home to the Melrose Market late Tuesday night to a reported grease fire at a restaurant inside the market.
Light smoke was reported coming from the roof of the building and the building’s fire alarm system horns were sounding after the initial report just before 11:30p.
The large fire response was quickly downsized as remaining units took care of the situation after the restaurant’s crew used a fire extinguisher to knock down the fire in a hood above their kitchen. The fire was out before the wood beam building’s sprinkler system kicked in and there were no reported injuries. The fire did not appear to have caused damage beyond the chimney system.
Workers from some adjoining businesses were forced outside during the response while other nearby establishments like the Baltic Room continued to serve patrons as the remaining fire crews cleaned up.
The development, lauded for its preservation-focused design and local-oriented marketplace, celebrated the start of its third year of business with a street fair last weekend.