Have something juicy from the world of Capitol Hill food and drink to share? Email us.
- New tenants lining up for Capitol Hill’s just-completed Belroy Apartments building will have one foot in the neighborhood’s past and another in its future as residents of a project that overhauled a classic of area architecture and combined it with a modern new apartment complex. When those residents go to hang out at the new cafe that will be part of the new Belroy, they’ll also have one foot on Capitol Hill and another in Spain.
“There were mom and pop cafes with a ubiquitous sandwich. Really high quality ingredients but simple,” Jacob Daley says of the bocadillo — the inspiration behind Chico Madrid, his project with best pal since high school, Franz Gilbertson of Ballard’s Honore Bakery.
“It’s been a dream of ours for a number of years to bring them to Seattle,” Daley said — bursting into song in full Man of La Mancha style. Or maybe CHS just made that last part up thinking about delicious bocadillos.
Daley says Chico Madrid will be a neighborhood cafe featuring those bocadillos, bikinis and other Spanish-influenced offerings. The plan is to be open six days a week from 7 AM to 10 PM with coffee and pastries in the morning and wine and beer to chase those sandwiches down through the day. The name honors a place in Daley and Gilbertson’s past travels — apparently full of excellent Spanish sandwiches.
Daley comes to the project from years in the construction business having been part of buildouts in the area including recent work at 12th Ave’s High 5Pie. He’s designing and building the new 800+ square-foot space on the northeast corner of the new construction. The style will have definite Spanish elements but Daley said to expect a modern execution. “It is small but it is kind of keeping with the concept,” he said. Outside the windows stands a 60-foot cedar tree that will provide shade to outdoor seating if everything works out as planned.
High 5 and Fuel’s Dani Cone is involved in the project on the coffee and ideas end of things.
The current target calls for a spring debut.
For Capitol Hill resident Daley, Chico Madrid will mark the first time he has been involved with a project after the construction has been completed. He’s looking forward to being part of things — likely never touching the food, he says, but doing dishes and meeting customers. It will be exciting to live that impossible bocadillo dream.
“I really hope that people like the menu as much as Franz and I do,” Daley said.
- In this edition’s weekly installment of Bait Shop hype, Linda Derschang’s new, slightly nautical little dinghy has a launch date.
Bait Shop Opens Monday December 10th
Bait Shop, Linda Derschang’s newest nice place for nice people on North Broadway, is officially open for business on Monday December 10th! Bait Shop is located in the old Jade Pagoda building at the north end ofBroadway. We are open daily from 4pm to 2 am, with our kitchen open until midnight to satisfy your late night cravings for crisp fried delicacies.
We’ll serve tasty dishes like fish ‘n chips, fried chicken sandwiches, and a fresh wedge salad. To wash it all down try a Painkiller made with rum,pineapple juice and coconut cream (plastic mermaid included) or aclassic Margarita from one of our two frozen drink machines!
Bait Shop is slightly nautically themed, but we ain’t Red Lobster: imagine globe lights from the Paramount Theater and a 7 foot marlin proudly mounted on our knotty pine walls along side the hood of a ’77 Firebird. We’ll have a record player sitting on the bar a few days a weekwith a stack of old and new vinyl. We encourage folks to bring in a few gems from their collections and give ‘em a spin. Whether you are craving frozen cocktails or a fried chicken sandwich, Bait Shop will strive to be your new old friend on Capitol Hill.
ABOUT: Bait Shop is located at 606 Broadway East, Seattle, WA 98102.Feel free to give us a call at (206) 555-FISH. For more information check out our website (baitshopseattle.com)! For the most up to date information about fried things, booze, and other reel important business follow us on twitter (@baitshopseattle) or like us at facebook.com/baitshopseattle.
The announcement does well to harken back to the Jade Pagoda days of yore but let us not forget Bako that came before.
- Elsewhere in Linda-land, “Celebrate Repeal Day at SMITH on December 5th!” the email says.
- Way back in September, we told you E Olive Way’s Montana was ready to expand. Seattle Met has details as the work begins.
- Neighbours would like to introduce you to Therapy.
- Raygun Lounge is Capitol Hill’s first table-top gaming lounge. It’s true.
- Here. Buy this for your mom for Christmas. She’ll love it
. “Roy Street Coffee & Tea has the eclectically distinct look of having been designed by Universal Studios— medieval meets metropolitan—and it works.”
- So sweet. “Show us marriage documents dated 12/12/12 and the first glass of bubbles is on us…“
- Also a great stocking stuffer: Holiday cocktail class at Sun Liquor.
- Tommy Gun says women drink bourbon. Why not? Promo “Broads, Babes & Bourbon” to get you into it is December 8th.
- Some of the best french fries in America are in Pike/Pine.
- Work at Cupcake Royale? Pays $43 grand.
As a bakery manager for our company your first priority is to live our values! We want this person to lead by example and create a positive culture that promotes creativity, productivity and teamwork. We are a high volume 24 hour bakery that focuses on cupcakes, cookies, buttercreams, sauces, candies, quick breads, cake pops and breakfast baked goods. We are looking for a motivated leader who is flexible and ready to help our company GROW! We offer a great salary, bonus program, benefits and career GROWTH.
- Work at Terra Plata? Must have “Open Table skills.”
terra plata, Tamara Murphy’s nationally recognized “earth to plate” restaurant is looking for a qualified candidate to fill a part-time hosting position (2 — 4 shifts per week, depending on availability). Qualified candidates will have 2 years fine dining hosting or serving experience and Open Table skills. Must be friendly, gracious and hard-working. Experienced candidates only: please email resume to above address. We look forward to hearing from you!
- You’ll be able to walk down the Hill to Shanik… next week. And bus back up, right?
- Thaiku is coming back to life with a move to Phinney Ridge. So what are its backers up to on Capitol Hill?
- Part shop, part cooking school, Paris Eastside celebrates its grand opening on E Pike this week.
- Some excellent Capitol Hill venues are, indeed, open on Monday nights.
- We haven’t received as much Capitol Hill food porn as usual in the CHS Flickr Pool lately. Change that.
- Ah, now there’s a pretty food shot. Mamnoon has shared a few images of its more popular to-go items via Facebook including this manou’she jibneh wi zaatar. We shared images from inside the new Melrose restaurant here.
- B&O Espresso’s final day — as we know it — is this Sunday.
This week’s CHS food+drink advertiser directory