- Phone snatch at 16th and Thomas: Police were looking for the suspect who snatched a woman’s phone in a street robbery at 16th and Thomas Thursday night just before 6 PM. According to SPD radio dispatches, the suspect fled through an alley and was being followed by a witness but when police arrived and detained the possible thief, the victim said they had the wrong man. There were no injuries in the phone grab.
- Two-car crash snarls 24th Ave: A nasty looking head-on crash Friday morning on 24th Ave E at E Helen resulted in some reportedly minor injuries. We don’t have exact details on injuries to two people involved in the 8:15 AM collision but SPD tells us that a report at the scene that a driver had fled after the crash were apparently not true and the incident is not being investigated as a hit and run.
- Shoplifting attack: A man allegedly threatened an employee with a glass brandy bottle during a robbery of the 15th Street Safeway on the afternoon of June 20th. The store security guard who was attacked told police he witnessed the suspect conceal two bottles of liquor and exit the building without paying. He confronted the suspect, who allegedly swung one of the bottles towards the security guard’s head. The guard “said he had to duck to avoid being struck,” and detained the suspect for approximately one minute before feeling uncomfortable with a growing crowd and allowing the suspect to flee southbound on 15th Ave E.
- Public intoxication at Roy/Broadway gas station: Last Friday afternoon, the owner of the gas station at 915 E Roy St called police reporting a man who was acting in an erratic and threatening manner. According to the report, the owner told police that the man had refused to leave the gas station, and when the man was driven out with the help of customers he began flicking a lighter near the gas pumps. The man returned to the gas station, holding a small razor in one hand and a plastic bottle (sic) filled with an unknown dark liquid substance with a condom on top in the other, according to the report. After the intoxicated man allegedly began publicly masturbating and tried to walk away from the patrol car, police arrested him for trespassing on the property of the gas station. The man spit on and yelled several lewd statements at officers before urinating on himself in his holding cell, according to the report.
- Pepper spray fight: Around 9 PM last Friday night, a man told police that he had been a victim of a pepper spray attack on 11th Avenue between Pike St. and Pine St. Police found the suspect, who was “in possession of a small can of pepper spray and a very small fixed bladed knife,” according to the report. According to the report, the suspect told the officers that he and the other man had gotten into an argument, and he had used the pepper spray in self-defense. After being asked about his history with the other man, he told police the two of them had been involved in a dispute “regarding a stolen car sometime in the past.” Police discarded the pepper spray and logged the knife as evidence.
- Gun missing in burglary: A .40 caliber semi-automatic pistol is reportedly missing after a residence on the 1100 block of E Olive St was burglarized Sunday night. The home owner told police his car keys and identification were stolen from his car while it was parked in Seward Park, and when he returned home, he found he had been burglarized. According to the report, missing items included $600 cash, passports, and a Sig Sauer pistol and other shooting accessories.
- Dangerous crossing reported: Finally, an item from Wednesday night from a reader about what Misha says is an increasingly dangerous intersection:
@ aprox 20:30 this evening a man stopped abruptly for a woman entering the crosswalk @ E Prospect to cross 10th Ave E (A terrible speeding issue, but that’s last weeks accident) and a young man following a bit close and a bit too fast seriously rear-ended the stopped car – sending both vehicles through the intersection and the crosswalk. One man is slightly injured & his airbag deployed. This time the pedestrian is fine and walked away (she should contact the SPD as a witness!)
This section of 10th Ave East has become very hazardous with lots of speeding cars, esp between the light at east Boston & the one at Roy st, and I have repeatedly seen cars blow through both of the other lights between (Aloha & Galer lights along 10th Ave E) as well as the two cross walks in between those. Slow the fuck down people! Or move off my Hill