See something others should know about? Email CHS or call/txt (206) 399-5959.
- 1 dead in Eastlake double shooting: East Precinct homicide detectives are sorting out what went down early Monday morning after one man was killed and another injured in a shooting near Eastlake Ave E and E Lynn Street:
Shortly after midnight, three people were in a car when they decided to stop at a market at Eastlake Avenue East and East Lynn Street. The driver of the car pulled into the alley behind the store and parked in the 2200 Block of Franklin Avenue East. According to the surviving victims, one of the people in the car got out to go into the store while the other two waited in the car. As the two waited, an unknown suspect, possibly wearing a hooded sweatshirt, walked up to the car, pulled a gun, and fired several shots, striking both occupants. One of the victims, a male in his 20′s, was killed at the scene. The other victim, also in his 20′s, was wounded and taken to Harborview Medical Center for treatment of his non-life threatening injuries.
Via police radio dispatches, CHS heard details of a traffic stop following the shooting at Broadway and Yesler involving a vehicle matching a witness’s description. KIRO reports that police took two men into custody in that stop but they have not yet been connected to the murder.
- Suspected truck thief captured after crash, foot chase: A speeding truck came to a crashing stop on Melrose Ave and the driver fled on foot as police arrived Sunday night around 9:30 PM. “Watched a white Toyota pickup go skidding through Melrose & Pike Cops showed up 5 mins later. Crashed near Thomas,” one witness told us via Twitter. Officers tracked the suspect down and used a taser to subdue him after a short chase. SPD tells us the stolen truck was spotted downtown near 6th and Pike and the driver sped away only to crash on Capitol Hill where he was eventually taken into custody.
- Sunday morning gunfire? CHS received multiple notes about apparent gunfire in North Capitol Hill early Sunday morning around 4:45. Police searched the area but apparently never found the source of the 10 or so bangs reported by people in the area.
- Pike/Pine shooting update: CHS reported that the victim in last week’s early morning shooting in Pike/Pine has died and that the 19-year-old arrested in the incident has not been charged with a crime. The suspect told police the victim was his friend and a witness told police he heard the teen say he didn’t mean to do it.
- Cal Anderson Rangers: The new full-time Cal Anderson ranger patrols are now on the beat.
- SAAM vandals: From the CHS Community section, vandalism in Volunteer Park.