As home to the city’s only venue dedicated wholly to the craft beverage, Capitol Hill is ready to play a big role in the 2013 Washington Cider Week celebrations slated to begin Thursday around Seattle and the state. With the Cider Summit underway down the Hill in South Lake Union, highlights of the events at Capitol Cider and other Hill-area venues are below.
This is the third year the Northwest Cider Association has sponsored the 10-day industry celebration:
Cidermakers in Washington have a lot to celebrate. Several regional cideries have won major awards for their traditional dry ciders and perrys, while new blends featuring black currants, honey, hops, lavender and quince are giving cider fans plenty of unusual flavors to enjoy. Nationally, cider continues to be the fastest-growing segment of the beverage market. Hard cider, crafted from apples with the same careful attention that wine is developed from grapes, is naturally gluten-free, and makes use of fruit varieties that date back hundreds of years.
Over 75 separate activities and special menu items are planned throughout Washington State. Reservations are strongly encouraged for some events, such as the Northwest Cider Summit and cidermaker dinners. This year Edible Seattle is co-sponsoring Washington Cider Week. For a complete schedule of events, visit http://nwcider.com.
- September 6th: Seattle Cider Summit After-Party, with $4 Cider & Beer Specials all night, as well as free table shuffleboard and music. no RSVP Required.
- “Tap takeovers” through the week
- September 10th: “Capitol Hill Pub Crawl Featuring Live South American Bossa Nova/ Jazz Quartet, Tieton Ciders & Rare Cider Flights. Other simultaneous events occuring @pinebox @sunliquor and @thestumblingmonk”
- September 11th: “Finnriver will bring limited release kegs to Seattle’s Capitol Cider for a night with farm founders, unique ciders and special concoctions.”
- September 13th: “Cider Smoked Food Event, featuring one off Schilling Ciders, as well as Schilling Oak Aged Cider Soaked Woodchips smoked food.”
- September 15th: Capitol Cider’s first brunch — “Sept 15 First Brunch Service for Capitol Cider starting at 10:00 AM, with Free Live Jazz starting at 4pm, and flights presented by Columbia Distributing, Crispin & Fox Barrel.”
- September 14th: “For a true “taste of place” cheese and cider pairing, come down to the Co-op and sample Tieton Cider Works Cider with cheese from Tieton Farm & Creamery. Sharon from Tieton Cider and Lori from Tieton Creamery will be there to tell you all about the lovely town where we make our products.”
The Pine Box
- September 5th-15th: WTF Did You Put in My Cider?! “All week long we’re running Cider through our Randall with different Ciders and different concoctions in the Randall. And if that’s not good enough we’ll have some extra ciders on tap all week as well.”
- September 5th-15th: “The Tommy Gun will be featuring cocktails prepared with Tieton Cider Works Cider throughout cider week.”
- September 5th-15th: ”Book a table on the roof top at Terra Plata now! Chef Tamara Murphy, early pioneer and longtime friend to Northwest Cider, will have cider paired items on the menu for Cider Week. Tamara loves local – come see what a September garden and Cider inspires her to create.”
- September 5th-15th: ”You know you love pie! And you love cider! Get yourself over to The Pie Bar – that amazing new Capitol Hill eatery – for a slice of Sour Cherry Crumb paired with Tieton Cider Works Cherry Cider all week.”
Tavern Law and The Old Sage
- September 5th-15th: “McCracken Tough is proud to partner with Oola Distillery, Tieton Cider Works and Wandering Aengus Ciderworks through Click Wholesale Distributing to bring you our Cider Week Passport! Each of our four locations, Spur Gastropub, Tavern Law, The Coterie Room and The Old Sage will have a cider or cider cocktail available for purchase. Once you purchase the featured cider, you receive a stamp for having visited that location. There are 5 stamps to collect, the last being at our Cider & Bites brunch event at The Coterie Room on September 14th at 11:00am. If you collect all five stamps, there is an exclusive event to be announced soon that is only available to those who have completed their passports. You can pick up your passport from any of our four locations beginning September 4th.”
Oola (Various locations)
- September 5th-15th: “Tieton Cider Works and Oola Distillery have asked the most creative bartenders in Seattle to come up with a cocktail for WA Cider Week using their favorite TCW Cider and favorite Oola Spirit. Each one is as individual as the maker. Try them all during Cider Week! Restaurants and Bars featuring cocktails are: Ba Bar, Capitol Cider, Lecosho, Local 360, Old Sage, Pie Bar, Restaurant Zoe, Spur, Tavern Law, Terra Plata, Tilth and The Coterie Room. This is going to be epic!!!”
- September 11th: “Cafe Flora has Tieton Cider Works cider all of the time, and we love it when Sharon comes in and pours through the Tieton line up and tells us about their amazing farm and what is new at the cidery. This year she will bring a few bottles of their Precipice Perry that has been out of stock and their two new seasonal releases, Cidermaker’s Reserve and Smoked Pumpkin Cider. Join us for this tasting and enjoy our special Cider Week pizza and other menu options.”
- September 5th-15th: ”Seattle’s favorite award winning Vegetarian Restaurant is celebrating WA Cider Week with a special pizza and appetizer paired with Tieton Cider Works Cider. Cafe Flora is always GF and has GF crust to go under any pizza. Come to Madison Valley and raise a glass of cider, the naturally GF beverage! Cheers!”