A development mixing some of the most well-regarded architectural design of Capitol Hill’s past with a modern addition is under construction at 16th and and E John.
A somewhat unusual home for Group Health administrative offices since the late ’60s, the Frederick Anhalt-designed building was originally build as apartments in 1930. It was acquired in 2012 by Trinity Real Estate and real estate mogul Richard Leider for $2.7 million.
The building had been vacant since 2008 “after it was determined the facility’s infrastructure could not be modified to meet Group Health’s business standards,” a spokesperson told CHS.
Last year, Leider told CHS his plan was to “retain as much as possible,” but the overhaul would “fully rebuild the interior” of the building to accommodate future residents and include the modern addition designed by Public47. The end result will be a 39-unit apartment building melding Capitol Hill past and present planned to open in late 2014.
The more than 80-year-old Anhalt apartment building is protected as a City of Seattle landmark as “it embodies the distinctive visible characteristics of an architectural style, or period, or a method of construction” and ”is an outstanding work of a designer or builder,” according to the Seattle Landmarks Board.