Below, CHS has compiled a roster of hot meal, drives, service, gift basket and volunteer opportunities on and around Capitol Hill and central Seattle. As usual, a couple Capitol Hill pizza joints lead the way. If you’d like to give and contribute, it’s a good time of year to get involved. If you know of something we’ve missed, please let us know. We’ll continue to update this post through the holidays.
- Be part of a Thanksgiving feast for everybody. Summit’s Toscana Pizzeria will hold a community feast Thursday:
- Piecora’s annually offers a free Thanksgiving meal to those in need. Usually runs 11:30 AM to 1 PM if you meet somebody on the Hill who is hungry that day.
- Embedded at the bottom of this post is a roster from Seattle.gov’s Emergency Food page documenting almost all of the food banks in the city. You’ll find location and contact information for each for donation and volunteer needs.
View Seattle-area Meal Programs in a larger map
- This map from the Meals Partnership Coalition shows locations of regular hot meal services in the city.
- On the map, you’ll note Capitol Hill’s Community Lunch program. CL hosts an annual dinner on Thanksgiving at Broadway’s All Pilgrims Church — just as the service does every Thursday. Learn more at communitylunch.org.
- We’ve compiled a roster of Capitol Hill food/coat/sock/etc. giving drives here.
- 16th Ave’s Jewish Family Service has many opportunities to help — including their holiday gift basket program:
Individuals and groups participate in bringing joy to seniors and people with disabilities each year at Rosh Hashanah, Chanukah, Purim and Passover. Help by donating items; collecting food at a grocery store; or filling, decorating and/or delivering the baskets. Sign up for just one portion of the project…or pick a holiday with your group and see it through from beginning to end.
- Seattle’s Union Gospel Mission feeds the hungry every Sunday at the Capitol Hill Presbyterian Church on Harvard from 2-6p. Volunteers will be there on Thanksgiving also starting at 3 PM. You can view a roster of donation needs here.
- E Madison’s Jubilee Women’s Center has a holiday wish list for donations.
- First Hill’s Mary’s Place Holiday Giving Tree Tags are ready for you to pick up.
- Plymouth Housing Group is also looking for volunteers to help with its downtown Thanksgiving meals.
- Lifelong and the Chicken Soup Brigade’s Care to Shop program is in need of ongoing volunteers.