The Seattle Theater Writers group has posted its roster of the 2013 winners in the annual Gypsy Rose Lee Awards including a handful of artists honored for their work on Capitol Hill (and nearby) stages last year. Given the challenged state of Capitol Hill arts space and the necessarily fluid nature of operating a modern theater company, some of the honorees like Theater Schmeater and Balagan will no longer call the Hill home in 2014. You can see the full roster of winners and nominees here.
Gypsy Rose Lee Awards — Capitol Hill winners
- Excellence in Performance as a Lead Actor (Female) — Small Budget: Sydney Andrews — Undo — Annex Theatre
- Excellence in Performance as a Lead Actor (Male): Jerick Hoffer — Hedwig and the Angry Inch — Balagan Theatre
- Excellence in Performance as a Lead Actor (Female): Shellie Shulkin — August: Osage County — Balagan Theatre (tie)
- Excellence in Performance as a Supporting Actor (Female) — any non-lead (Large Budget): Amy Thone — The Trial — New Century Theatre Co.
- Excellence in Performance as a Supporting Actor (Male) — any non-lead: John Q. Smith — August: Osage County — Balagan Theatre (tie)
- Excellence in Local Composing – Jesse McNeese — The Gingerbread House –Theater Schmeater
- Excellence in Lighting Design (Small Budget): Jessica Trundy — Bengal Tiger at the Baghdad Zoo — Washington Ensemble Theatre
- Excellence in Local Playwriting: Holly Arsenault — Undo — AnnexTheatre
Interested in writing about theater and the arts for CHS? Drop us a line.