See something others should know about? Email CHS or call/txt (206) 399-5959. You can view recent CHS Crime coverage here.
- Broadway/Howe Steps medical incident: Police were called to the quiet, meandering northern end of Broadway late Sunday night to a report of a man found unconscious inside an idling vehicle near the Howe stairs. SPD quickly determined the incident was a medical situation and called Seattle Fire to the scene around 11:17 PM. According to SFD, their crews arrived and attempted CPR for 30 minutes but were unable to revive the male victim described only as an elderly man. The vehicle was registered to a nearby Harvard Ave E address.
- Safeway odor mystery solved: Seattle Fire was kept busy Sunday night by a mystery odor inside Capitol Hill’s Safeway at 15th and John. Crews were called to the grocery store twice around midnight for a report of a possible gas leak after employees reported a strong smell inside the store. After SFD’s first visit, a heating, ventilation, and air conditioning technician gave the all clear that the problem seemed to be fixed. But Seattle Fire was called by again when employees in the break room located upstairs in the Safeway building reported smelling gas again. The store was evacuated this time as utilities employees were called out to check what was going on. After a full inspection, an “overcharged” floor scrubber machine was discovered to have a battery creating a smelly gas that had risen to store’s ceiling and into the employee break room above. Nobody was seriously injured in the incident and the offending machine was taken care as employees were allowed back into the store to prepare for their 5 AM opening.
- Woman shot at 12th and Jeff: A woman is recovering from a non-life threatening bullet wound after apparently being caught in the middle of a dispute late Friday night in the 12th and Jefferson gas station parking lot.