With news that a Broadway Streetcar will finally reach the streets near Volunteer Park by 2017 and the continued progress toward an early 2016 opening of the U-Link light rail connection between downtown and Montlake via Capitol Hill, here’s a look back at the area’s transportation past that can serve both as a reminder that we’ve been here before *and* that these kinds of connections surely must be needed for the people of Seattle to build them. Time — and time again.
This is how the new history of the Roanoke Park and Broadway Streetcar from past CHS contributor Robert Ketcherside ends:
Preparing to move massive crowds for 1909′s World’s Fair, SEC directly connected the Broadway line to the University of Washington campus in late 1908 (see Seattle Times 1908 10 23 page 1). The Broadway line was sold to City of Seattle with the rest of the former SEC system in 1918. Just over twenty years later Seattle converted all of the streetcars to buses. Fast forward through conversion to a countywide bus system, and this continues to operate today as the Metro 49.
For how it begins, read the whole thing here.