Pianos in the Parks is a public-private partnership that uses the power of art and music to get us out to discover parks, connect with people, and have fun. This year there will be 11 artists decorating 11 pianos for 11 locations. 5 of the 11 Pianos will be “Permanent Pianos” and remain in that location for the entire run. (artists may request one of these pianos in their proposals).
Entry Deadline: Friday, May 26 2017, 5:00 pm.
11 Pianos, painted and/or decorated by local artists
Opening Event on July 13 at Capitol Hill Art Walk, 4pm–8pm
6 Pianos at the opening reception inside 12th Avenue Arts
5 pianos outside on Pike/11th for Pike People Street
5 “permanent” pianos that stay out from July 14–30
6 single-day events with music, literary, visual arts, and other programming
Each artist invited to participate in the event will be given a stipend for painting, supplies and some free supplies will be donated by Urban Artworks. To view the artists who were showcased in the event last year or for more information please visit the Pianos in the Park website.
- “Permanent Pianos” will be on display during the reception and in its location for the duration of Pianos in the park 2017 (July 14–30)
- “Single-Day Event Pianos” will be on display during the reception and on the one day of it’s specific event.
Friday, May 26 2017, 5:00 pm
- Artists must be 18 years of age or older
- Applicants must be able to decorate pianos from Tuesday, June 27th thru Wednesday, July 12th, 2017 at Urban Artworks (815 Seattle Blvd S, Seattle, WA 98134)
- Artists must provide a 500-word proposal connected to the themes of open space, your city, community, and/or culture—a wide and creative interpretation is encouraged as long as the artwork is visually engaging and looks and feels finished both conceptually and physically. Priority will be given to artists who can provide a proposal specified to l park location listed above.
- Pianos can be embellished with collage, sculpture or other artistic media but must be able to be easily moved by piano movers-meaning no sharp objects, prohibitive weight, delicate embellishments that could snap off in transit or by pulled off by children in the park.
- Since each of these pianos is in a public park, all imagery must be appropriate and inoffensive, able to be enjoyed by the whole public.
- The keys cannot be painted or not have anything that retracts/changes the sound of the piano-the whole idea is these works are playable art.
- Artwork must be artist’s original design and completed solely by the artists
- Participants must provide their own transportation to and from the decorating space: Urban Artworks (815 Seattle Blvd S, Seattle, WA 98134)
- Entry Deadline:Friday, May 26, 2017, 5:00pm
- Artists notified of acceptance: Friday, June 2nd, 2016
- Painting timeline: Tuesday, June 27th thru Wednesday, July 12th, 2017 at Urban Artworks (815 Seattle Blvd S, Seattle, WA 98134)
- Pianos unveiling: Opening Event on July 13 at 12th Ave Arts during 2nd Thursday Capitol Hill Art Walk