Chop Suey shooting update: No arrests as owner speaks out on gun violence

Seattle Police continue to investigate last week’s gunfire at Capitol Hill music venue Chop Suey in which two people were shot. Police tell us there have been no arrests while Chop Suey’s ownership has spoken out on Wednesday night’s gun violence.

“We are proud of our staff and security team and stand by their continued efforts to ensure the safety of patrons, artists, and concert goers that frequent Chop Suey,” Erin Carnes tells CHS. “It was indeed a rare occurrence for our location, however the unfortunate reality of senseless violence is alarmingly present in our community and can happen anywhere and at any time.”

CHS reported on the chaotic scene around the 14th and E Madison club after gunfire rang out inside the sold out Chop Suey just before hip hop headliner Mozzy took the stage around 9:45 the Wednesday night before Thanksgiving. The SPD incident report from the night made available this week shows that police found only one shell casing inside the club in the backstage area:

According to SPD radio dispatches, a bullet hole was also visible in a back door to the club. As reports of gunfire in the area first came in, police cleared nearby bars and clubs looking for possible additional shooting locations and reported victims. Two people later arrived at area medical facilities following the shooting with what were described as minor injuries from gunshot wounds. SPD’s gang detectives are investigating.

Carnes confirmed the shooting happened back stage. “At this time, the police are still investigating and gathering details of exactly what transpired,” she said. “The incident took place prior to any artists taking the stage and occurred backstage away from patrons and the public in the main area.”

Mozzy’s Friday night show in Portland following the shooting was canceled. He is scheduled to take the stage Thursday night at a sold-out show at The Roxy in West Hollywood.

The shooting at Chop Suey — right down to the reported bullet damage to a backdoor to the club — reminded nightlife veterans of a 2009 murder at the club in which hip hop performer Joseph Ryan was shot and killed. But nine years has passed since the murder and there have been countless shootings at other Seattle venues since.

In 2015, Carnes and her business partner Brianna Rettig took over and overhauled the club.

East Precinct representatives gathered with Chop Suey staff in a meeting at the club Thursday but SPD declined to reveal what was discussed. In the past after nightlife-related violence, police have met with staff and security from Hill venues to discuss safety issues.

“Providing a safe space for anyone who chooses to walk through our doors or perform on our stage has always been our mission and will continue to be our focus,” Carnes said.

The club, in the meantime, is open and continues to do its thing along with Neumos as the area’s leading live music venues. Thursday night, guitarist Chris Cheveyo headlines.

 

 

 

Subscribe and support CHS Contributors -- $1/$5/$10 per month

2 thoughts on “Chop Suey shooting update: No arrests as owner speaks out on gun violence

Leave a Reply