Blotter | Deadly Columbia City shooting ends on First Hill

See something others should know about? Email CHS or call/txt (206) 399-5959. You can view recent CHS Crime coverage here.

  • (Image: @wspd2pio)

    I-5 fatal crash: Authorities believe this deadly crash on I-5 below Capitol Hill early Sunday morning may have been the result of road rage:
    The crash may have been preceded by road rage; Trooper Rick Johnson said the vehicle involved in the fatal crash, along with another unidentified red or maroon pickup truck, had earlier been reported in a road rage incident.
    The Washington State Patrol is investigating. UPDATE: WSP is asking for help from anybody able to provide information about a red Dodge Ram pickup with tinted windows believed to have been involved in the crash. WSP says the victim was identified as 20-year-old Taylor Hulsey.

  • Columbia City shooting ends on First Hill: A shooting near Columbia City turned a First Hill street outside Harborview Medical Center into an emergency room Friday afternoon:

    Shortly after 1:00 pm, officers responded to reports of shots fired near Rainier Avenue South and South Genesee Street. As officers were responding, a separate call came in that an adult male with life-threatening gunshot wounds arrived in a vehicle at Harborview Medical Center. Officers were able to quickly determine that the two incidents were related. Seattle Police and Seattle Fire responded to that incident, and SFD began life-saving measures on the victim. Despite their efforts, the victim succumbed to his injuries.
    SPD is investigating the homicide and looking for help from the public in identifying the suspect:
    Witnesses who have not yet spoken with police, or anyone with information pertaining to this murder should call 911 or the Seattle Police homicide tip line at (206) 233-5000.
  • Downtown shooting: SPD is investigating a second bout of gun violence from the weekend after a man was shot in the face near 3rd and Pine Saturday night.
  • CD gunfire: The weekend also brought reports of gunfire in the Central District Saturday morning night near 24th and Washington. SPD is investigating.
  • Belmont Ave “assault with weapons” callout: A gun incident responded to Friday afternoon at a Belmont Ave apartment building was a self-inflicted shooting, according to emergency radio dispatches. For resources and help to prevent suicide, please call the national suicide-prevention hotline 1-800-273-TALK (8255).
  • Sriracha-on-pizza assault: We can’t totally sort out this SPD blotter post about a weekend incident at Sizzle Pie but here you go:
    Police responded to the 1000 block of East Union Street just after 2:15 AM after a woman called 911 and complained that employees at a pizza shop were yelling at her and calling her names. Officers quickly spotted what they initially believed were three intoxicated friends rough-housing on the corner of the block, but soon noticed a 29-year-old man preparing to make a break for it. A 36-year-old woman at the scene told officers she and a 45-year-old man had been at the pizza restaurant and had left following a dispute with staff. She said that when she and her friend left the restaurant, they were accosted by the 29-year-old man, who threw a garbage can, striking the 45-year-old in the leg. It’s unclear how the 29-year-old man came to enter the strange scene. Restaurant staff asked officers to remove the 36-year-old woman as she had reportedly created a “disturbance inside when she did not receive what she believed to be an adequate amount of Sriracha sauce.” The woman, officers wrote in their report, “kept bringing up” the sriracha issue as officers were attempting to investigate the incident. She also “attempted to divert [the] investigation from the assault to her irritation with the pizza parlor and her treatment” by an employee “with the tattoos on the face.”
    SPD says the 29-year-old was arrested but later released. Justice served.
  • Cigarette machine thief busted: Capitol Hill makes SPD blotter twice in day. Here’s a report on an arrest of a cigarette thief early Friday who tried to rip off the service station at Broadway and Roy only to find out the gas station’s owner lived close enough to hear the alarm go off:
    On Friday, at approximately 12:40 am, officers responded to the 900 block of East Roy Street for a call of a man chasing another man down the street. Officers arrived and detained both men. Officers quickly determined that one of the individuals was a business owner, and victim of a crime. The business owner told officers that he lives close to his business and heard the alarm sounding at his store. The business owner looked outside and saw the suspect standing next to a broken window and holding a large rock in his hand. The business owner stated that when he got outside he saw the suspect running away from the store with a cigarette machine under his arms. The owner told officers he grabbed the suspect and pulled him back to the front of the store to wait for officers. Officers located the broken window and recovered the stolen machine. The suspect was booked into the King County Jail for investigation of burglary. Detectives will handle the follow up investigation.


Subscribe and support CHS Contributors -- $1/$5/$10 per month

Comments are closed.