Following last weekend’s weather delay, crews plan to begin work at the 23rd Ave E and E John St intersection this Saturday and Sunday, October 22 and 23. Crews will close the intersection to through traffic from 7 AM to 7 PM each day of the weekend; the intersection will be reopened to regular travel overnight on Saturday. This schedule remains weather dependent and subject to change.
The contractor will provide local access to businesses, community destinations, and residences near the intersection, but through traffic will be detoured via E Aloha St, 19th Ave E, and E Madison St (see map left).
If you live on or are headed to 23rd Ave E between E Aloha and E Madison streets or E John/E Thomas St between 19th Ave E and 24th Ave E (shown in yellow on the map), you can drive past the detour signs into the local access areas to reach your destination. Drivers passing through the area, however, should continue to follow the signed detours and avoid cutting through residential streets. See the flyer for more details.
- Metro route 8 and its bus stops will be detoured around the intersection during the work; look for posted Rider Alerts, call Metro at 206-553-3000, or visitmetro.kingcounty.gov/signup/ for more information
- Metro routes 43 and 48 will not be detoured, but will travel on their current routes through the intersection; riders may experience delays due to construction
Crews also plan to work at this intersection October 29 and 30, so stay tuned for updates next week. These weekend closures are necessary to give crews a safe space to work while they install the foundations for new trolley poles at the intersection. Other reminders
- Crews plan to pave at the 23rd Ave and E Union St intersection November 4 – 6; please stay tuned for more details.
- Crews continue roadway demolition and paving at 23rd Ave and E Madison St while maintaining eastbound, westbound, and southbound travel at the intersection (reminder: northbound 23rd Ave remains closed at E Madison St). Neighbors can expect temporary changes to the traffic configuration on E Madison St over the next several weeks as crews complete one area of work and move to the next. Through traffic will be maintained.
- Temporary driveway and sidewalk closures are ongoing as crews continue work inZone C, from E Union St to E John St. Please use caution and pay attention to sidewalk closures and pedestrian detours. If you have any questions about the work in your area, please call 206-727-8857.
- Be sure to visit out the new public artwork by artist Martha Jackson Jarvis at the southeast corner of 23rd Ave and E Union St. The piece was commissioned with Seattle Department of Transportation funds from the City’s 1% for Arts program and administered by the Office of Arts & Culture.
- The Office of Economic Development is continuing to work with businesses to address their needs. If you have questions, please email or call Michael Wells email@example.com or 206-684-8612.
For more information