Capitol Hill Community Post | Just another soul pushed off the hill

I am not writing to gather sympathy, only to express and reach out, it finally happend to me. I have lived on Capitol Hill since 1986. Lived behind Shop-Rite and next to the bakery on 14th and Pine. After graduating from Cornish College, which used to be on this hill I got my first job at The Ritz Cafe. Once I found 15th, I found my home. It was slower, safer, and more of a community than the hustle bustle of Broadway. But I loved Broadway and became a member of the BIA and worked with merchants to improve our district. I found solace in The Pilgrim’s Congressional Church where they proclaimed ‘ God Loves Everyone ” and found acceptance.I was in the arts and my family did not support me. The Hill became my family in a sense. Now thirty years later I am single and struggling to pay almost two thousand dollars a month for rent. I have searched for months and what I can pay will only afford me a studio. Never before have I seen such an obscene rise in rents. So one by one, nameless, faceless, lonely people are being thrown out of their homes. The Amazonian young somethings have come to our town and pushed us out

Capitol Hill Community Post | Cal Anderson Park Questionnaire

Hello Capitol Hill Community Members,

I am a master of Urban Planning student at the University of Washington. I am currently writing my thesis on park design and am looking at Cal Anderson Park for my project.

I could really use your help by taking a short questionnaire (link below). This questionnaire will help with my evaluation on what makes Cal Anderson a successful park.

Thank you so much in advance. This is an enormous help to my thesis project and would really appreciate your participation.

Link to questionnaire: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/BZPZVGR

Capitol Hill Community Post | McGinn for Mayor Campaign Statement

18010786_10153951843054649_1425175728058315063_nFrom McGinn for Mayor

Campaigns, like our great city, are about people. Every four years, when this city elects a mayor, Seattle has the opportunity to have a conversation about its future.

So I am humbled to share that I will be seeking your support this year as Seattle votes on who will serve as our next mayor.

For the past three years, I’ve been watching this city change in ways that I think we all should be concerned about.

The economy is growing, and for a reason. We have a wonderful city and major employers want to be here. That’s great. Continue reading

Capitol Hill Community Post | Pothole Palooza Kicks off in Seattle

1-POTHOLEFrom the City of Seattle

Seattle is kicking off Pothole Palooza on Monday, April 17, a campaign to aggressively repair potholes across the city. Beginning today, the Seattle Department of Transportation (SDOT) is asking community members to report neighborhood potholes so we can map them out as our Pothole Rangers move throughout the city.

There are three ways to report potholes:

During the campaign, SDOT crews will be assigned to specific districts around the city. SDOT Crews will be joined by crews from Seattle Parks and Recreation who will assist with these efforts. 

“We recognize that residents have been patient through a tough winter that’s resulted in an increased number of potholes and we want them to know that we’re listening when they report them,” said SDOT Director Scott Kubly. “You’ve told us where they are, and we are marshaling our resources to fill them.”

Potholes occur when street pavement cracks and breaks because of water and vehicle traffic. During winter months, water can cause the material under the pavement to erode, freeze and expand, and then thaw and contract causing the pavement to sink down and break. Many streets, particularly in the outer areas of the city, have a very poor underlying structure, or sub base, which reacts poorly to these conditions. This freeze/thaw cycle can cause the pavement to crack so that it deteriorates quickly under the weight of traffic, and then streets can seem to break out in potholes overnight.

Seattle has had an extremely wet and cold 2016-2017 winter season. Residents typically see more potholes in the winter and spring, following periods of cold temperatures and rain or snow. February and March are when we see the highest numbers of potholes. This past February was the wettest we have experienced in thirty years. For more information about potholes, please visit: http://www.seattle.gov/transportation/potholes/.

Capitol Hill Community Post | Compass Housing Alliance Receives Funding from City of Seattle for an Enhanced 24/7 Homeless Shelter on First Hill

unnamed (3)From the City of Seattle

SEATTLE— April 12, 2017— The City of Seattle has awarded funding to Compass Housing Alliance to create an enhanced 24/7 homeless shelter with a grant of $1.3 million opening in summer 2017. The funding acknowledges Compass Housing Alliance’s proven and innovative, person-centric approach to providing shelter and support to Seattle’s homeless population. Compass Housing Alliance will combine safe shelter, complete wrap-around services and intensive case management to bring 100 new, much-needed shelter beds to King County. This model aligns directly with the City’s Pathways Home plan announced last fall. The new shelter initiative was made possible in collaboration with Seattle First Presbyterian Church, which is providing an optimal space for the shelter’s unique purpose and will be located at the property at 1013 8th Ave, in Seattle.

“The 24/7 enhanced shelter model offers individuals the opportunity to stay in one place while searching for a permanent solution, rather than returning to the streets each day and hoping for a bed somewhere that night,” said Janet Pope, who is executive director ofCompass Housing Alliance. She added that by offering a safe place alongside nutritious meals, this model allows the time needed for a full assessment of each individual’s needs, to build trust and work toward addressing the barriers to stable housing.

“We follow a faith tradition that champions the concerns of the last and the least in society,” said Reverend Heidi Husted Armstrong, who is currently pastor of Seattle First Presbyterian Church. “We are so thankful to partner with Compass Housing Alliance and in helping people, our lives will also be changed.”

“With this enhanced shelter support, individuals can readily secure the appropriate resources to navigate the system toward a successful housing placement,” Pope explained. “The new shelter follows the successful model that Compass Housing Alliance has implemented across our other shelter and housing programs. We can have greater impact in developing a 24/7 facility of this capacity.”

“The City is very excited for this shelter to open,” said Catherine L. Lester, Director of the City’s Human Services Department. “This shelter is an example of our commitment to making investments that are person-centered. As we continue to implement the principles in Pathways Home, we will continue to invest in services, like this shelter model, that are meeting people where they are and providing individualized services and supports.”
The enhanced shelter approach is a direct response to the real needs of people who need both immediate and longer-term support to successfully transition out of homelessness. It also provides space for people to bring their possessions, and to come inside with their pets or companions. Accommodating these issues can reduce the challenges people living outside face in seeking access to shelters.

The shelter will have an on-site manager to interact with the community, provide oversight and ensure that the church grounds are well maintained.

“Compass Housing Alliance has nearly 100 years of experience serving a vulnerable population and have advocated for this system-changing, 24/7 model within the four shelters that we operate.  We are pleased to continue our partnership with the city in implementing this evidenced best practice in our community, Pope explained.

There will be a community meeting to discuss the shelter at on May 22 at 6:30 pm at Seattle’s First Presbyterian Church.

Capitol Hill Community Post | Mayor Murray Abuse Claims

From Sara Mae, 701 Coffee

I remember the first time I read a news article referencing “Mayor Murray, and the First Gentleman.” It brought tears to my eyes. Watching Mayor Murray, and his Husband walk up to the podium in front of our city, state, and national news holding hands, openly showing their gay affection in front of the entire world is a testament to how far we have come in our great country. But there is much more work to do. I took great Pride in voting for you. And there is no other time in the history of our species that I would rather be alive than 2017. There is so much hope, and possibly for us to better ourselves individually, and as a species.

Currently Queer folks like myself, a transsexual female, are fighting for the Civil Right to use public restrooms without the threat of arrest, and attack. All under the guise of protecting women and children from our so-called perverse life, there are politicians, and church leaders fighting to exclude people like me from the simple dignified act of relieving ourselves.

There are record numbers of Queer youth living on the streets of Seattle, and across the nation that are in desperate need of as many Elected champions we can muster as a community.

There is simply to much at stake in all of this, to many lives that are already suffering daily under the dark cloud of systemic Gay/Trans bigotry and all other intersectional oppressions stemming from that which are designed to deprive hope, and opportunity from Our Community. We simply cannot stand the trauma of another layer added to it. Our Community—mine and yours—have suffered great trauma nationally, and around the world with being hit by a barrage of associations of Our Community too rapists, and pedophiles.

These accusations against you will be worked out in the courts in their due time. Please consider that you aren’t the only one in all of this. Many in our community simply don’t have the time for these accusations to wind their way through the courts. We need a LGBTQ Leader that can stand in the face of this Systemic Hate on firm ground. And you are currently not standing on firm ground.

Please, for not just yourself, and your husband, but for Our Community, take a step back, assess the situation, and don’t run a second term.

Be well,
Sara Mae
701 Coffee

Capitol Hill Community Post | Nicole Macri: House bill would enhance internet privacy protections for consumers

From Rep. Nicole Macri, 43rd District

Donald Trump signed into law last month a bill that strips you of your ability stop internet service providers (ISP) from selling your private browsing information.

This means if you’ve ever typed your Social Security into an online form, your ISP could collect it and sell it according to congressional experts.

I think that is wrong, and I have heard from many constituents about their concerns about this change in federal policy. The internet has become ubiquitous and it is increasingly difficult to conduct our lives without entering personal information on the internet. ISPs should not be allowed to sell your personal information without your permission.

That is why I joined 73 of my colleagues (a supermajority of the House) to introduce HB 2200.

Our bill would create new internet privacy protections enforceable under the Washington Consumer Protection Act, including:

• Compelling transparency by making ISP privacy policies available to customers so they know what to expect.
  • Protecting privacy by prohibiting ISPs from selling or using private information (such as a person’s browsing history) without consent.
  • Requiring ISPs to report to customers when they have been hacked and personal data has been breached so customers can protect themselves.

Consumers should have the option to keep their personal browser history private.

This is an important consumer protection measure that enjoys wide bipartisan support, and I look forward to seeing it land on the governor’s desk for his signature.

Thank you,
Nicole Macri

Capitol Hill Community Post | Moving out of Capitol Hill? Just moved out of Capitol Hill? RESEARCH SUBJECTS WANTED

PrintParticipate in a University of Washington research study about LGBTQ+ identified people moving out of Capitol Hill.

Subjects will answer questions related to their motivations for moving out of Capitol Hill in 45 minute interviews. Each participant will be compensated $15 for their time.

If you are interested in participating, please contact Adel Clifton at taclift@uw.edu, or call (206)7241107.

Capitol Hill Community Post | The Power of Strikes: A Working Woman’s Guide

MayDay-graphic-detailThursday, April 20, 7:30pm
Public Meeting
The Power of Strikes: A Working Woman’s Guide

“A Day Without a Woman,” “A Day Without Immigrants,” “May 1 General Strike” – these calls for mass protest have abounded since Trump occupied the White House. What is their meaning for women, the multi-racial labor force, immigrants and refugees? The meeting will analyze the March 8 women’s rights actions and what they signified. Learn why strikes are called “workers’ most powerful weapon” and discover women’s leadership in past labor upsurges. Get informed about local and national collaboration between immigrant rights groups and unions in building for walkouts on May Day – to protest Trump’s attacks on medical care, elders, immigrants, women and labor. Find out how you can help!

Hearty dinner, with vegan options, served at 6:30pm for $8.50 donation.

New Freeway Hall
5018 Rainier Ave. S., Seattle
On the #7 busline. Six blocks from the Columbia City light rail station.

For more info or to arrange childcare:
206-722-6057 • RWseattle@mindspring.com www.facebook.com/rwseattle

Capitol Hill Community Post | One Center City Capitol Hill

From the Seattle Department of Transportation

Seattle Central College is kicking-off Earth Week with a discussion about the future of transportation and public spaces on Capitol Hill. Please join the conversation on Monday, April 17 at 6 pm at Erickson Theatre to learn more about One Center City, why it’s important to Capitol Hill, and how you can shape the future of the neighborhood!

One Center City Capitol Hill

One Center City is working to create a 20-year vision and action plan for Capitol Hill, Pike/Pine and eight other Center City neighborhoods. The 20-year vision includes having easy, affordable, and reliable travel options, as well as public spaces that are safe and inviting – share your thoughts on how to get us there. One Center City is a partnership between the City of Seattle, Sound Transit, King County Metro and the Downtown Seattle Association

Envision Capitol Hill’s Transportation Future will be at Seattle Central College’s Erickson Theatre at 1525 Harvard Avenue and will kick-off at 6 pm with a presentation followed by a moderated discussion with the audience and local panelists.

For more information, please contact info@onecentercity.org.

One Center City Capitol Hill April 17