Seattle, WA 98122
10 Wednesdays | 1/3/18 – 3/7/18 | 6:00 PM – 9:00 PM
5 Saturdays | 1/6, 1/20, 2/3, 2/24 and 3/3 | 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Earn your TESOL Certificate and gain the necessary skills to teach English to speakers of other languages abroad. Native speaking English teachers with TESOL certificates are in demand, especially in countries such as China and Korea. Begin an exciting career teaching English abroad!
Our well-designed curriculum is taught by experienced and highly qualified faculty. This 120-hour non-credit certificate program consists of two courses, TESOL Basics and TESOL Grammar, which build upon one another. Students begin with TESOL Basics and then take TESOL Grammar upon successfully completing the Basics course.
This program introduces major approaches and effective methods in the second language acquisition field. In addition to four hours of classroom observation as part of the regular class sessions, students must also complete a six-hour classroom observation/practicum working with ESL/ELL students on their own. Please note that this certificate is not an equivalent to an ELL endorsement or certificate to teach in WA state schools.
Course topics include:
- Understanding learner factors, motivation, styles, and backgrounds
- Cross-cultural awareness
- Classroom Management: Including teaching across age groups as well as teaching in a multi-level classroom
- Class observations and practicum: co-teach or assist in an ESL class
- Effective teaching methods
- Technology in the classroom
- Assessment and testing
- Different ways of developing a lesson plan
- Interactive projects, videos, and guest speaker