New Year’s Eve Gala – Mozart ’til Midnight
Monday, December 31, 2018 at 11:00pm
St. James Cathedral, 804 Ninth Avenue, Seattle
$30 suggested donation
Cathedral Cantorei and Cathedral Chamber Orchestra
Joseph Adam, Music Director and Cathedral Organist
Ring in the New Year with the Cathedral Cantorei and Chamber Orchestra in a festive program featuring the music of Mozart. His Vesperae solennes de confessore (Solemn Vespers for a confessor), K.339, which includes the beloved Laudate Dominum for soprano soloist and choir, is the centerpiece of the concert. Other works include his Kyrie for 5 sopranos, K. 89; Regina coeli in C major, K. 276; and Missa brevis in C major, K. 220, also known as the “Sparrow Mass” or “Spatzenmesse.” At midnight, we toll in the New Year with bells and a “midnight surprise!”
Passes to reserved seating are only available by advance donation: order online for delivery by mail or pickup at will-call (www.stjames-cathedral.org/music/concerts/NYE2018.aspx), or call 206-382-4874. General admission passes are available at the door. Concerts with reserved seating at St. James Cathedral are “Festival Seating,” which guarantees you a seat, but not a specific seat, in the reserved section. Reserved seats are opened to general seating a few minutes before each concert.
– Online sales of advance passes to reserved seating will end at 7:30 pm on Monday, December 31.
– General admission passes will be sold at the door ($30 suggested donation; pay what you can).
– Box Office/Will Call will open at approximately 9:30 pm. The doors will open at 10:00.
– The Cabrini Garage (paid parking) will remain open for this event from 9:00pm until 1:15am. Garage entrance is on Marion Street between Terry and Boren Avenues.
– Limited free parking is available in the O’Dea High School parking lot, entrances on Marion and Columbia Streets between Terry and Boren Avenues.
– Paid street parking is enforced until 8:00pm.
– Handicapped parking is available on the west side of Terry Avenue, between Marion and Columbia.
More information at www.stjames-cathedral.org/music/concerts/NYE2018.aspx, (206) 382-4874, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Music at St. James Cathedral
804 9th Avenue
Seattle, WA 98104
St. James Cathedral is the home of Seattle’s longest-running classical music New Year’s Eve concert – 2018 marks the 37th Gala New Year’s Eve performance. Featuring the professional musicians of the Cathedral, this yearly event reflects the quality and excellence of the St. James Cathedral music program put forth each week as the 7 adult and youth choirs, cantors, and organists of the Cathedral provide music for nearly 600 liturgies a year.
The Cathedral Cantorei is a professional ensemble with 19 of the area’s outstanding soloists and choral leaders, which serves as the professional core of the Cathedral Choir and the Women of St. James Schola. The individual members of the Cantorei minister as cantors, soloists, and psalmists at all sung liturgies at St. James and at the monthly ecumenical service with music from Taizé. As a choral ensemble they have performed such works as Bach’s Magnificat, Handel’s Dixit Dominus, and Tallis’ Lamentations of Jeremiah.