There is a secret cabal operating on Capitol Hill that sets trends, defines what is and is not acceptable and can make or break a local business. Its membership is exclusive and its procedural rules and methods are rigorously enforced. It is ruthless in its mission.
Worse, it is headquartered in a foreign land — one of the most clandestine, guarded areas of our city. Madrona.
Today, we will reveal this undercover operation, perhaps, for the first time. They call themselves Madrona Moms. They describe their mission thusly:
Madrona Moms is an informal, fun-loving community group. It was created in August of 2000 by a few moms who met at Madrona playfield with their little ones; their aim was “to make Madrona feel like a small town.” Through our wonderful email network of 1,600+ members, we help to support each other as parents, and as neighbors. If you are a parent who wants to be involved, contact us!
Due to the many requests for membership, we need to accept members who reside in Madrona, and our immediate surrounding communities, only.
The modest description belies their power and influence:
- Madrona Moms decides which high-chair-powered restaurants succeed or fail.
- Some Madrona Moms are dads.
- It suggests plumbers and names names.
- It lets you know when your car seat is expired.
- It is uncompromising in its enforcement of rules and assaults members who stray with missives such as “This is off topic” or “This is supposed to be about parenting” or “I like when we talk about plumbers.”
It is ruthless. It is effective. And it is probably operating next door.
Consider this post a warning and a plea. If you know of Madrona Moms operations in your area, call authorities. If you yourself are a member, consider the damage these outside influences are doing to the Capitol Hill community. Rise up, neighbors, and push back lest we all become Madrona Moms.