Here’s a rundown of things to do on Capitol Hill and beyond this week with a few reminders of Hill highlights up top. Happy New Year.
- High 5 Pie shop debuts on 12th Ave Thursday night with a sneak peek opening with lots of goodies.
- Want to be in a movie? This film shoot needs actors to act like joggers. RSVP then meet Thursday night at Stumptown 12th Ave.
- Here’s our roster of free/cheap/interesting Capitol Hill New Year’s Eve parties. We also have some tips on New Year’s Day food and drink happenings to start 2011 out right including some yum stuff going on at Melrose Market.
- Babeland starts its semi-annual sale Friday. 25% off puts the happy in Happy New Year’s.
Here’s the weekly roster for the Hill and beyond:
Thursday, December 30th
- Thanks to mean old Mr. Potter, it’s the last night for It’s a Wonderful Life @ the Grand Illusion
- Tiny Furniture closes its tiny mumblecore run @ Central Cinema
- The first of two sold-out Neurosis shows, this one with support from Wolves in the Throne Room and Black Breath @ Neumo’s
- Attention Vince Mira fans! He’s @ the Can Can
Friday, December 31st
- Take in a Columbia City New Year’s with a 21+ show, starring Dyme Def, Hounds of the Wild Hunt, Night Train, and more @ Columbia City Theater
- Or head out to see up-and-coming singer-songwriter Lissie, along with Tyrone Wells and Kristen Ward @ Snoqualmie Casino
- What about a New Year’s Eve Bash with Three Dog Night @ Emerald Queen Casino
- And while Neurosis is all sold out @ Neumo’s, don’t forget about the Reverend Horton Heat @ El Corazon and X @ the Moore
- Fresh Espresso and Head Like A Kite ring in the new year with a “big ball drop” @ the Crocodile
- It’s Seattle Symphony’s New Year’s Eve concert, countdown, and celebration @ Benaroya Hall
- Comeback’s “xtraordinary nite of Glamour, Fierceness, Realness, and Shade!” (what?) emceed by Ade with music from Colby B, Porq, and Freddy King of Pants at XTRAVAGANZA @ Chop Suey
- The Dusty 45s will kick New Year’s skinny ass @ the Triple Door
- Speaking of asses, dance yours off at the Footloose dance party @ Central Cinema
- Looking for a crowd? 3,000 are expected at Indulgence 2011 @ EMP
- Over in Bellevue, the Seattle Choral Co. rocks out with Carmina Burana @ the Meydenbauer Center
- If you want a good view, there’s also a New Year’s Eve Bash @ the Columbia Tower
- “Bling in the New Year” with the burlesque hits of the Can Can Castaways and the Heavenly Spies @ the Can Can
- Teatro Zinzanni has a special night all lined up @ their tent
Saturday, January 1st
- Cover your eyes or wear sunglasses: It’s the Ninth Annual Polar Bear Plunge @ Matthews Beach
- Noah “You heard my song on One Tree Hill“? Gunderson and the Courage play @ the Triple Door
- The first of two days of the Sound of Music sing-a-long @ the 5th Avenue Theater
Sunday, January 2nd
- The Seattle Baroque Orchestra and Early Music Guild celebrate the new year with an afternoon of Vivaldi @ Town Hall
- Last day to catch the Implied Violence and “Seance” exhibits @ the Frye Art Museum
- Salt of the Sea, starring Brooklyn-raised, third-generation Palestinian refugee and Tony Award-winning slam poet Suheir Hammad, screens (through Jan. 6) @ Grand Illusion
Monday, January 3rd
- Monday…meh. How’s about seeing the Picasso exhibit before it closes on the 17th @ SAM
Tuesday, January 4th