Post navigation

Prev: (03/07/13) | Next: (03/08/13)

Police: Victim in July 2012 Summit Ave beating dies of injuries

A 48-year-old man severely beaten in a July 2012 dispute on Summit Ave has died as a result of his injuries some eight months after the attack, Seattle Police announced Thursday.

CHS reported on the chaotic July 22nd incident:

A Sunday night Summit Ave bbq ended in chaos as a man threatened people with a sawed-off shotgun and had the weapon wrestled away from him, witnesses tell police. Officers responded to the 1700 block of Summit Ave Sunday night to a report that a man with a shotgun was pointing the gun at bystanders and was now in a fight over the weapon. Another call reported that a different man was now walking away with the gun northbound on Summit.

Officers arrived to find a male lying in the street with his head and shoulders covered in blood and “puddles of blood on the pavement around him.” The man had been severely beaten and had lacerations above his eye and on his head. The man was transported to Harborview for treatment of his injuries.

A witness told police that a group was having a barbecue in the area when three males joined the party before a heated argument began. The 48-year-old reportedly grabbed a shotgun to threaten the males who fought him for the weapon before beating him with it.

We have removed the name of the man who died until his family can be notified. The man had a lengthy criminal record including domestic violence, drug crimes and possession of stolen property.

Three people were taken into custody following the beating but only one was booked on drug charges after police found 2.8 grams of cocaine being carried by the suspects.

Police say the case is being investigated by homicide detectives and that all people involved in the incident have been identified.

Man Dies From Injuries Sustained In July 2012 Capitol Hill Confrontation

A 48-year-old man seriously injured during a confrontation on Capitol Hill last summer has died from his injuries.Around 11 pm on July 22, the 48-year-old man got into an argument with three other men near Summit Avenue and E. Olive Street.Following the argument, the 48-year-old walked off, returned with a shotgun and threatened the three men.The group of men then disarmed the 48-year-old and struck him with the shotgun.When officers arrived at the scene, recovered the shotgun, and contacted the three men. Officers eventually released two of the men, but booked the third into jail for narcotics possession.The 48-year-old man was critically injured in the incident and was taken to Harborview for treatment. SPD Homicide Unit took over the investigation because of the severity of the 48-year-old man’s injuries.After receiving treatment at Harborview, the 48-year-old man was transferred to a long-term care facility where he died from his injuries earlier today.Homicide detectives are still investigating this case, but have identified everyone involved in the incident and do not believe this was a random attack. 

East Precinct homicide detectives only had one murder case to contend with in 2012 — we reported in January on the one-year-later status of the Darek Darewski case. There have been no arrests in the Harvard Ave shooting death.

Subscribe and support CHS Contributors -- $1/$5/$10 per month

5 thoughts on “Police: Victim in July 2012 Summit Ave beating dies of injuries

  1. He is dead of a vicious beating. No point in society making any judgment about him based on his past actions. Is his life worth less than another?

  2. Totally relevant, this was no innocent bystander, the guy instigated the beating by showing up with a shotgun and then getting his ass kicked with it. Live by the sword, die by the sword, ya know?

  3. Pingback: Man who died months after Summit Ave beating identified | CHS Capitol Hill Seattle