Seattle Fire battled a challenging apartment building fire in the 300 block of Bellevue Ave E Thursday morning.
The fire could be seen shooting flames from the top of the five-story brick building at 305 Bellevue Ave E. The fire was first reported just before noon. A column of dark black smoke churned into the air and could be seen from across the city.
We do not have any information about reported injuries or damage at this time.
Roy Vue Carroll Kensington building was constructed in 1908 according to King County Records.
Seattle Fire categorized the blaze as a two-alarm fire indicating a higher than usual level of resources committed to the response. Around 90 firefighters were part of the response.
The Red Cross said it was dispatching its disaster response team to assess needs and provide assistance.
The fire marshall has been called to the scene to investigate. UPDATE: Seattle Fire says “improperly discarded smoking materials” on the deck caused an estimated $25,000 damage to the building’s roof and also caused a propane tank to explode. There were no injuries.
More pictures below.
— Ricardo I. (@GinRico) September 11, 2014