Sugar Hill, a new restaurant project from Ayutthaya co-owner Guitar Srisuthiamorn, is currently under construction with plans to open by the end of summer. Sugar Hill will be a bar-focused eatery featuring Thai street-style food.
Srisuthiamorn is partnering with Momiji’s ownership on the new venture. The Sugar Hill buildout will transform both floors of the two-story cafe including the well-loved upstairs balcony. The base construction budget is listed at $100,000.
Ayutthaya, meanwhile, celebrated 30 years of business on E Pike in 2015 and has found a way to thrive in the midst of the booming Pike/Pine food and drink scene.
In 2013, CHS reported on the plan to — temporarily — move Bauhaus to the former Capitol Club building before a planned return to its longtime Melrose and Pine home where a massive development project is being built. Bauhaus owner Joel Radin at the time said he hoped to eventually open something new like a restaurant or bar in the temporary Bauhaus home.
Sugar Hill is planned to open in August.
Capitol Hill food+drink notes
- A former Subway sandwich shop at 22nd and Madison is being transformed into the first in what is hoped to be a wave of expansion for Wallingford-born Tigerly Ox. The Vietnamese eatery from John Tran is currently under construction in the commercial strip outside the 23rd and Madison Safeway. Unlike the Wallingford location, Tran says his E Madison restaurant should have seating for around 15 to 20 patrons. Watch for an opening next month.
- Are they open yet? Next new places to try out on the Hill should be Broadway’s Corvus and Co. and 15th Ave E’s Bar Vacilando. You’ll have to wait for summer to visit the new Harry’s Fine Foods.
- In the Central District: RIP The Barbeque Pit.
- Loxsmith Bagel pop-up Sunday at La Spiga.
- Canon’s branded ice cubes make the New York Times: “We are always looking to give our guests a moment of ‘Wow!’”