See something others should know about? Email CHS or call/txt (206) 399-5959. You can view recent CHS Crime coverage here.
- Broadway burglar: A calm and cool thief made off with $2,700 in cash in a surprisingly easy heist at a 500 block Broadway E establishment last Saturday. Police were called to the location listed as a restaurant in the report to investigate the just before 6 PM ripoff. According to the report, the suspected thief walked in and asked if they had any televisions he could watch. When an employee broke the bad news about no screens at the establishment, the man said it wasn’t a problem and he was waiting to meet someone. Then he headed for the office and restaurant’s safe:SPD is investigating.
- What kind of hat was it? Police investigated a reported New Year’s Eve assault at 11th and Pike involving a victim possibly targeted because of his “red baseball cap.” The victim told police he was standing outside his residence watching a “protest” when he was attacked by unknown assailants:
According to the report, the victim had an inch-long laceration to his forehead and dried blood on his clothing. He could describe his attackers only as a white male and possibly a white female though “he wasn’t sure if it was in fact a female who choked him as he was losing consciousness.” Police say the victim “refused to be treated by Seattle Fire and added he was waiting for an Uber to take him to the hospital.”
“I asked XXX who wasn’t wearing a hat at the time of my interview, what kind of hat was he wearing,” the report writer notes. The answer?
- New Year’s Uber assault: New Year’s Eve ended badly on Capitol Hill for one accused of assaulting her Uber driver with a water bottle inside his vehicle. Here’s how the sad report on the just before 7 AM incident in the 1400 block of Summit Ave starts out:
When the officer caught up with two of the women, he found little assistance — but the reported assailant wasn’t far away:
Her behavior didn’t improve after her arrest:It didn’t get better at the jail, either, where a deputy had to carry the woman inside to be booked after she “refused to walk instead taking to her knees and crying.”
- 12th Ave robbery: A woman walking near Cal Anderson Park was followed and then jumped and mugged by two suspects outside her 12th Ave apartment building in an early morning January 7th street robbery:There were no arrests in the around-2:30 AM incident.
- Mailbox burglaries: There have been a spate of apartment building mailbox ripoff attempts. SPD is investigating attempts to rip off multiple mailboxes in buildings on Boren Ave, Melrose Ave E, 20th Ave E, Minor Ave, Belmont Ave E, and E Union in the past two weeks.
- Bike heist: A resident moving into her new building near 12th and Spring a few months ago was told it would be alright to lock up her bikes to pipes in the storage area. She reported to police January 7th that the bikes — one worth around $700 and the other, $3,500 — had their lock cut through and were stolen in a burglary inside the complex. SPD did not find anything of “evidentiary” value at the scene.