Only days into the new year, one of the more depressing crimes of 2018 added a new twist. The stickup man in a probably not armed robbery of the mostly empty tip jar from a Broadway frozen yogurt shop in December returned to the scene of the crime the night of Wednesday, January 2nd, handed over $10, and walked out, according to East Precinct radio. CHS already looked at the most important Capitol Hill stories of 2018 here. Let’s not step further into 2019 without remembering the year that was in smooth criminals, bumbling crooks, and ace cop work.
- January: A man told police he was beaten at the Comet in an altercation with a group of patrons yelling “faggot” at the television when President Trump was being shown… a Broadway shoplifter chose the wrong getaway vehicle, jumping on the notoriously slow First Hill Streetcar.
- February: The suspect eluded the owner and police after a hold-up at Broadway’s Rom Mai Thai… a man was hit by a bullet after hearing gunfire outside his E Denny Way apartment building.
- March: A 36-year-old was charged for stealing a basketball at knifepoint in Cal Anderson… hundreds of pounds of meth were seized in a drug bust in a Capitol Hill parking lot…. A 56-year-old was pulled from the driver’s seat in his partially submerged blue 2003 Subaru Forester after witnesses reported hearing the vehicle revving its engine and then crashing over an embankment into Portage Bay.
- April: A morning melee that included smashed cars and employees going into lockdown mode caused a scare but wasn’t targeting E Madison’s Planned Parenthood… thieves held up a Bellevue Ave E market at gunpoint and made off with the entire cash register.
- May: A SWAT standoff with an armed King County Sheriff’s deputy shut down the area around E Howell for a day…. somebody tried — and failed — to set the youth jail construction site on fire.
- June: Scarf dancer Boe Oddisey was arrested at Folklife and charged in an alleged groping of a minor. The misdemeanor charge was dropped citing a felony filing by the county… a man in his 20s died at a homeless and drug camp in the Louisa Boren greenbelt… a street preacher drew a crowd and police after using pepper spray at Broadway/Pike.
- July: Authorities investigate a string of dumpster fires as possible arson… a fake FBI agent busted for a $130K Central District robbery pleaded guilty.
- August: A Broadway bandit made off with a pizza delivery car, devouring an order of chicken wings before arrest… there were seven shootings within 72 hours in the Central District… a tourist told police he was dangled from a rooftop in a First Hill robbery… a bike share vandal put lives at risk across the city… the calmest, coolest $20,000 heist in Capitol Hill history went down as a smooth criminal walked off with cash during ATM repairs at Seattle Central.
- September: A thief mad off with a stuffed-full Amazon delivery van in a 10th Ave E carjacking… a video showed a rough arrest over fare enforcement at Capitol Hill Station.
- October: A man was shot on E Union.
- November: Police were called to help Broadway’s Nacho Borracho and Neon Taco boot Patriot Prayer members from the establishments… A massive police response outside Chop Suey was sparked after a suspect peed on the club and tangled with security and cops.
- December: A woman suffering a crisis tore apart a Broadway GNC shop… A duo of Capitol Hill gunpoint robbery suspects used the city’s robust bike share system as their getaway ride.
BECOME A 'PAY WHAT YOU CAN' CHS SUBSCRIBER TODAY: Support local journalism dedicated to your neighborhood. SUBSCRIBE HERE. Join to become a subscriber at $1/$5/$10 a month to help CHS provide community news with NO PAYWALL. You can also sign up for a one-time annual payment.