See something others should know about? Email CHS or call/txt (206) 399-5959. You can view recent CHS Crime coverage here. Hear sirens and wondering what’s going on? Check out Twitter reports from @jseattle or tune into the CHS Scanner page.
- Chase and crash: Seattle Police have posted details of an early Saturday morning bust after a rollover crash that began with a pursuit on Capitol Hill. According to SPD, officers spotted two men in a suspicious vehicle in a parking lot near Union and Summit around 2 AM. Police say the suspects quickly backed their red Ford Explorer out of the lot and sped away from police, running red lights as they went, before crashing only minutes later on Boren near Virginia. Arriving officers found the car on its side with two occupants inside, alert and conscious, and not seriously injured — along with a handgun and three plastic bags containing suspected methamphetamine on the pavement near the vehicle’s open sunroof. Police say the gun’s serial number appeared to have been filed off. The vehicle’s passenger had a DUI warrant and was in possession of a backpack containing 200 pills of Xanax, some of which, the man said, had been pressed into pieces of candy, according to the report. The driver was arrested for reckless driving and told police they would potentially find his fingerprints on the gun because “he had seen the gun on the ground outside the car, not wanted police to think it was his, and had thrown it further into the street,” police said. The man, who is a felon, is unable to legally possess firearms. Both men were booked into King County Jail.
- Belmont Ave 911 response: Police and medic units were called to an apartment building in the 1700 block of Belmont Ave early Saturday for a reported stabbing that we determined to have been a self inflicted knife wound to the chest. The female victim in the just before 3 AM incident was transported to Harborview. For resources to help those in need: National suicide-prevention hotline: 800-SUICIDE. Local Crisis Clinic: (206) 461-3222.
- Phone robbery: Police were searching for a group of three suspects reported to have been involved in a phone grab outside the Pike/Broadway Shell station early Saturday morning. There were no injuries in the just after 1 AM incident and no immediate arrests.
- Market assault: Police arrested a suspect for assault after an incident that left glass shattered at the Hillcrest Market. Officers were called after the fight at the market at E Olive Way and Denny around 2:30 PM on January 31st to a report of a struggle going on outside the business. Police arrived to find an employee at the business had been strangled while attempting to detain a suspect reported to have busted a window of the store. The employee declined medical attention. Police say the window’s damage was around $1,000. The suspect was booked into King County Jail for investigation of assault.
- GNC burglary: Somebody busted into the Broadway GNC store overnight on January 31st and decided not to steal anything but some of the coins left in the cash register. According to the SPD report on the incident, police found the 500 block Broadway E shop’s door damaged and some items strewn about but nothing else missing. SPD is investigating the break-in.
SUBSCRIBE AND KEEP CHS PAYWALL-FREE -- $1/$5/$10
We love providing community news on CHS free for thousands of readers. What sustains the effort are voluntary subscriptions from paying supporters. If you are enjoying CHS, SUBSCRIBE HERE and help keep CHS available to all. Become a subscriber at $1/$5/$10 a month to help CHS provide community news with no paywall. You can also sign up for a one-time annual payment.