Wall fire scorches building home to Union bar — UPDATE

(Image: CHS)

Firefighters battled a stubborn wall fire Sunday night inside the building home to Capitol Hill gay bar Union.

Seattle Fire was called to the scene just after 10 PM and found the fire in an area of the building’s second floor. Firefighters were able to quickly bring the fire under control. It was not clear how much damage the flames and fire response caused inside the building.

The intersection of 13th and Union was filled with fire trucks and a haze of smoke as nightlife patrons cleared the building and gathered from nearby venues.

There were no reported injuries. The Seattle Fire Marshal was called to the scene to investigate.

UPDATE 4/22/2019 12:40 PM: Seattle Fire says the incident has been ruled an accidental fire “most likely caused by an electrical/mechanical malfunction of the natural gas water heater.” The estimated loss is $70,000.

The investigation’s findings can put to rest any worries that the fire could be connected to a recent string of arson fires on Broadway.

No word yet on damage from Union.

UPDATE 11:00 PM: Union is temporarily closed to clean up after the damage from the fire:

Our Sunday Funday was so hot we caught fire, literally. We appreciate your patience while we temporarily close for clean up. ​ We sincerely thank the Seattle Fire Department, our staff, and all the kind messages from the community. ​ Stay tuned for updates, we will be open again soon!

Subscribe and support CHS Contributors -- $1/$5/$10 per month

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.