Post navigation

Prev: (01/14/20) | Next: (01/15/20)

E Madison Safeway hit in back to back armed pharmacy hold-ups

Police are searching for three suspects after two armed pharmacy robberies Monday night that included a heist at the 22nd and Madison Safeway.

According to an SPD brief on the robberies, the hold-up team entered the E Madison Safeway around 6:30 PM armed and with surgical masks covering their faces. “Two of the suspects jumped the counter of the pharmacy and forced the employees to open a safe,” SPD reports. “The suspects took prescription medication and fled out the door prior to police being called.”

A half hour earlier, police say three suspects eluded arrest following a similar hold-up of a pharmacy on S Othello.

Police posted security video from the two robberies and describe the suspects as three black males but provided little additional information and did not describe the type of vehicle the trio reportedly fled in.

Police are asking anyone with information to contact the SPD Robbery Unit at (206) 233-5000.

HELP KEEP CHS 'PAY WHAT YOU CAN' FOR EVERYONE -- SUBSCRIBE TODAY! Support local journalism dedicated to your neighborhood. SUBSCRIBE HERE. Join to become a subscriber at $1/$5/$10 a month to help CHS provide community news with NO PAYWALL. You can also sign up for a one-time annual payment.

Subscribe and support CHS Contributors -- $1/$5/$10 per month

14 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
caphillguy
caphillguy
1 year ago

The people who want to shut down the pot shops should be all about closing down all the grocery stores too. They seem dangerous!

Spike
Spike
Reply to  caphillguy

“I’ll take False Equivalence for $200, Alex.”

Neighbor
Neighbor
Reply to  caphillguy

It’s called humor, and if you look at the stats you’d know that grocery stores get held up a lot.

Nope
Nope
1 year ago

I’d pick up a few asthma inhalers – $400 each without insurance $$$ !

bb
bb
1 year ago

Looks like parkour graduates.

Steve
Steve
1 year ago

These two guys – Cory and Brandon – are the nicest and most helpful people I’ve met in a pharmacy ever in my life. Overworked and infinitely patient with people. It makes me sad and angry that they felt their lives were in danger.

Mark
Mark
Reply to  Steve

I agree. That whole team has always been friendly and helpful. It must have been terrifying to be assaulted like that. I hope Safeway puts in some additional security–like maybe something that would make it difficult to leap through the pharmacy window.

Steve
Steve
Reply to  Mark

Yeah, I guess that will have to happen now, although the openness of it kind of helped make the experience more personal. Both these guys are really good about leaning in and speaking softly to avoid sharing people’s medical stuff.

D Del Rio
D Del Rio
1 year ago

I hate to say it, but it might be time for pharmacy’s to have glass between them and the public like some banks do. Until we can get control of the opioid epidemic, this will continue happening.

andy
andy
Reply to  D Del Rio

seriously, seattle is way too chill on security. i once bought chinese food through bulletproof glass in philly.

CD Neighbor
CD Neighbor
Reply to  andy

The neighborhood I lived in when I was in college was the same – bullet proof turnstile windows at the KFC!

The Feds
The Feds
Reply to  D Del Rio

The have bullet proof and people proof glass at the Seattle VA Hospital. So yeah no jumping through or threatening the Pharmacists there.

Mark
Mark
1 year ago

Getting my White Castle and liquor through bullet proof glass was a normal thing when I lived in New York.

Michael Grace
1 year ago

I have been going to this pharmacy for years, and love the team working there. So patient and kind. So, on top of dealing with insurance companies, they also have to deal with armed robbery? Sigh.2