Although all locations of The Seattle Public Library are now closed in accordance with public health guidelines, Library cardholders can take advantage of a wide range of online educational and entertainment resources. Whether you want to learn SEO, download music, watch a classic movie or help your kids brush up on reading skills, all of the following resources are available online to anyone with a free Library card. No need to leave home.
- Lynda.com – Learn a new skill at your own pace at www.spl.org/lynda.You’ll find thousands of courses covering animation, audio, video, business skills, marketing, design, photography, programming and much more.
- Mango Languages – Want to improve your conversation skills in another language? Choose from over 70 languages at www.spl.org/languages
- Microsoft Imagine Academy – Find hundreds of online courses on how to use Microsoft Office 2016, along with learning paths for computer science, data science and IT infrastructure at www.spl.org/ImagineAcademy.
- Safari Books Online – Visit www.spl.org/books-and-media/books-and-ebooks/safari-books-online to find thousands of instructional e-books on a variety of technical subjects for both beginners and experts, including topics like “Adventures in Minecraft” and how to create your own Android app.
- Seattle Reads –
- OverDrive – We have thousands of e-books and e-audiobooks you can borrow for three weeks and download to most devices at www.spl.org/overdrive.
- PlayBack – Use PlayBack to stream and download recordings by local Seattle artists, and explore our city’s rich musical culture at www.spl.org/playback.
- Freegal – Stream unlimited music or download and keep up to five songs each week at www.spl.org/freegal.
- Hoopla – Choose from instantly accessible movies, TV shows, comics and music albums at www.spl.org/hoopla, which allows users to stream up to 15 items a month. Apps are available for iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch and Android devices.
- Kanopy – Watch up to five of over 30,000 independent, classic and other films per month at www.spl.org/kanopy. Kanopy has a collection of films you can stream without using any play credits available through April 15, 2020.
- Access Video – Watch unlimited documentaries, performance, how-to and educational videos at www.spl.org/books-and-media/movies-and-tv/access-video. Check out the HBO series Chernobyl, work out to a core strengthening or yoga video, learn how to knit and more.
DIGITAL RESOURCES FOR KIDS
- BookFlix - Explore animated stories paired with real world concepts for early readers up to third grade at www.spl.org/books-and-media/books-and-ebooks/bookflix.
- TumbleBook Library – Help your child build reading, math and language skills with this fun collection of animated, talking picture books for preschool and elementary-age children at www.spl.org/books-and-media/books-and-ebooks/tumblebooklibrary.
- Kanopy for Kids – Watch educational and engaging videos for children of all ages at www.spl.org/kanopy, including story time and Muzzy language-learning videos. There is no streaming limit on Kanopy for Kids videos through April 15, 2020.
- Access Video: Just for Kids – View unlimited free streaming TV shows for kids that include nature programs, books made into videos, early learning, homework help videos and more at www.spl.org/books-and-media/movies-and-tv/access-video.
For more information, contact the Library online at Ask Us.