Post navigation

Prev: (10/06/20) | Next: (10/06/20)

City holds last round of community meetings on Cal Anderson changes as park remains ‘temporarily closed’

This week brings the last in a series of three community meeting sessions to shape new features and investments in Capitol Hill’s Cal Anderson Park.

The Wednesday night and Thursday daytime sessions come as the neighborhood’s central park remains “temporarily closed” by Seattle Parks officials as nightly protests and unrest continue in the area.

Seattle Parks and Recreation invites the community to participate in a short survey http://bit.ly/CalAnderson2 and join the third online discussions for 2020 Cal Anderson Park. This project engages the public on how changing assumptions and language can affect the design of park spaces and create a sense of belonging for everyone. Please participate on-line in a conversation and vision for the future of Cal Anderson Park on Wednesday, October 7 from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. at https://dlrgroup.zoom.us/j/96794281610 or Thursday, October 8 from 12 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. at https://dlrgroup.zoom.us/j/93691483865. Choose either day to participate.

CHS reported previously on the ongoing Seattle Parks community process to shape the upgrades and changes at Cal Anderson that city officials say can incorporate the ongoing need for human services and resources for the homeless community around the park. The process also “investigates the existing community initiatives that emerged during the CHOP/CHAZ.” — a community garden and a listening circle.

In the months since Mayor Jenny Durkan ordered the park raided and swept of the CHOP protest camp, activists and campers have continued to fill the park with tents. Nightly demonstrations have also used the space as a gathering area despite ongoing police efforts to clear the park.

Seattle Parks is also facing increased camping pressure at other properties across the city including Williams Place Park and the Miller Playfield on Capitol Hill.

HELP KEEP CHS 'PAY WHAT YOU CAN' FOR EVERYONE -- SUBSCRIBE TODAY! Support local journalism dedicated to your neighborhood. SUBSCRIBE HERE. Join to become a subscriber at $1/$5/$10 a month to help CHS provide community news with NO PAYWALL. You can also sign up for a one-time annual payment.

Subscribe and support CHS Contributors -- $1/$5/$10 per month

Notify of
guest
9 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
dave
dave
4 months ago

The number of tents surrounding Miller playfield is…. remarkable.

RWK
RWK
4 months ago
Reply to  dave

Yes, and also at Denny Park, Williams Place Park, and many other areas. I fear that this occupation by the homeless of many public spaces is going to be a permanent part of our neighborhood, even after the pandemic is over….. while the City looks the other way, unfortunately.

The word is out among the homeless across the land: “Go to Seattle, where no one will bother you!”

Gretchen M Lauber
Gretchen M Lauber
4 months ago

The online survey in this article that was just posted “is expired”, and I’d like to respond. Please advise-

yetanotherhiller
yetanotherhiller
4 months ago

You can send comments to Andy Sheffer of Parks:
2020CalAnderson.gov

If you join the zoom meeting that’s underway now or the one tomorrow, you can leave comments in the chat during the question period. They ignore difficult questions, bu tat least there will be a record.

Meetings info:

yetanotherhiller
yetanotherhiller
4 months ago

They are explicit about who they are reaching out to and listening to:

“As we move forward with 2020 Cal Anderson we are centering the outreach effort around the BIPOC and LBGTQIA communities.”

So if you want to be heard it will probably help to identify yourself as belonging to one or both of those.

Samantha G.
Samantha G.
4 months ago

Thanks for the mention that difficult questions were ignored. I tuned into all three and out of all the questions I put forward only one was answered. I was wondering if it was just me. I would love to hear from other people who were part of the meeting and see if they had a similar experience.
There is an open attempt to rewrite the history of Cal Anderson Park. I have heard so many people recently claim that it is now Black transgendered women who made this neighborhood what it was. I’ve lived here for 30 years and while there are a few, the overwhelming majority who created the culture were white gay men and women. That’s a fact not an opinion or a bias.
This might sound petty but I noticed in their plans they mentioned about “centering BIPOC and LGBTQ” people. In that order. Huh? And they talked about going forward with Black Star Farmers even though the man behind it made it clear in no uncertain terms that both the space and those who benefit from the crop will the BIPOC. I’m not gay or BIPOC, but the gay community has never made me feel alienated nor have I felt treated with hostility or insensitivity by them. I can’t say the same for the BIPOC activists who are taking advantage of the outcry over George Floyd’s death to get a massive disproportionate amount of benefits without regard to the erasure they’re committing towards others. First it was a “LGBTQ Park”, then it was “LGBQT and BIPOC park”, then it became “BIPOC and LGBQT park”, and now it’s become “BIPOC only” spaces and LGBTQ would not be welcome unless they were not white? Wow.
I should mention the man behind this Garden project has only lived in Seattle for about a year, he already has several plots of land throughout the city, and he doesn’t live on Capitol Hill and never has. I feel like they’ve gifted our Park to activists and community organizers, the overwhelming majority who have no real history in the neighborhood or park. And seem really insensitive to people outside of their ideological group. I do not want a political propaganda park. Andy Sheffer mentioned last night during the talk about how they are trying to make it a place for activism and that is about creating “programming” rather than fixing up the physical space. Is this really what residents of the neighborhood wants? I don’t and I don’t know anyone else who does. If we don’t become more assertive in making this clear we will never get our park back.

Glenn
Glenn
4 months ago

They do not care what neighborhood residents have to say or what their preferences might be. This process is a charade, with the ultimate ends already decided. This is politics, and the park is being sacrificed to satisfy an agitated political constituency. The whole thing really makes me want to puke, but that is the state of our city right now.

yetanotherhiller
yetanotherhiller
4 months ago

“Stakeholders.”

John
4 months ago

I walk through Cal Anderson park just about everyday and it looks more like a garbage dump all the time.