Capitol Hill Community Post | Miller Park YAY-bors

From Miller Park YAY-bors

Recently, a group of our Miller Park neighbors–dubbing themselves the “Madison-Miller Park Community” joined with other groups in filing an appeal of the City of Seattle’s implementation of the Mandatory Housing Affordability (MHA) Final Environmental Impact Statement. (FEIS). These groups hope to slow down or stop the implementation of the pending Mandatory Housing Affordability (MHA) program that would build new affordable homes for our neighbors who ​desperately​ need them.

Like many Miller Park residents, we were disappointed in our naysaying neighbors. In response, we have formed a different local group, the Miller Park YAY-bors.

Over the last few years, we had all heard about the City’s proposed plan to make housing affordability mandatory. The program works by coupling needed growth with necessary affordability, tying slight one-to-two story upzones with affordable housing mandates on new development. The specific upzone in our neighborhood, immediately adjacent to Miller Park’s bustling mixed-use commercial strip, will create more than 1500 new homes in our community out of nearly 95,000 citywide, including 11,000 affordable homes citywide, so that more people can live in Seattle. Continue reading

Capitol Hill Community Post | Lost Black Dog

Please help us find our small black dog named Ari. She slipped out of her collar and got spooked and ran off last night, 2/6. She is a small black dog with a pink and blue sweater on. She is very timid but will come to you if you crouch to her level. She is not aggressive and doesn’t bite. Please let us know if you have seen her. You can contact at 8455947044 or jpaulchrist@gmail.com. Thanks Jacob and Cris

Capitol Hill Community Post | Capitol Hill Pride newly formed Non-Profit

From Capitol Hill Pride

Capitol Hill Pride is proud to announce itself as a new non-profit organization and Trademark name established by the organizers of The Capitol Hill Pride Festival and a Board of Directors which is looking forward to its 10th year on Broadway.

Capitol Hill Pride has just submitted to the City of Seattle Special Events an application for Sat. June 23, 2018 the day long street festival and march for Pride weekend and is currently scheduling to meet with Seattle’s new Mayor Jenny Durkan.

The Directors are encouraged that this year’s permitting will go smoother as the last two years saw permitting denial for a second day and severe restrictions which resulted in a decreased attendance at the 2017 festival under former Mayor Ed Murray favoring other Pride events during his re-election campaign.

The Capitol Hill Pride Festival has grown to become the Northwest’s largest Pride street festival since 2009 and Capitol Hill’s largest event since 2013. The Directors are dedicated to promoting local organizations and businesses in what is recognized as a Constitutionally protected annual event for Pride weekend.

The street festival is planned for 2018 for Sat. June 23rd from 10am to 10pm on Capitol Hill.

The Capitol Hill Pride March is planned for 10am on Sat. June 23rd from Seattle Central to the main stage on Broadway and Harrison.

Development on events, registration and stage schedule will be announced on the website.

The new Capitol Hill Pride logo is a black/white unicorn reflecting the colors of the Pride flag including pink representing the large diversity of the community.

Capitol Hill Pride is confident in the many restaurants, businesses non-profits and artists in promoting the LGBTQAI cause whether it’s through their art, business or personal expression and support of the community all year long.

For more information visit:
http://www.capitolhillpridefestival.info/

Developing Board
Charlette LeFevre
Philip Lipson
David Kennedy
Laura Ingalls Wilder
Bo Odyssey

Capitol Hill Community Post | A Progressive Session Reaches the Midpoint

From Rep. Nicole Macri

The housing affordability crisis touches not just our city and county, but every corner of the state.  People are struggling to stay in their homes or afford rent in communities large and small from Okanogan to Bellingham and from the Tri-Cities to rural Grays Harbor County.

This is an issue that compelled me to run for office, and I’m working hard to make sure the legislature does all it can to support people struggling to keep a roof over their heads.  At long last, we finally passed the capital budget, through which many of our affordable housing efforts are funded.  I’m also sponsoring several pieces of legislation that aim to keep people in their homes.

·         HB 1570—I’m the prime sponsor of this bill which makes permanent a real estate transaction fee to fund crucial housing services like emergency, DV, youth and young adult shelters; eviction prevention, move-in assistance and allows rental vouchers to be used in both for-profit and nonprofit homes.

·         HB 2578—This bill goes hand in hand with HB 1570 by prohibiting discrimination against renters or prospective renters based on the source of income they use for rent, such as Section 8 vouchers and other public assistance programs.

·         HB 2437—Expands affordable housing and rental assistance programs by allowing counties to bond against existing state sales tax revenues.  Such bonds would come at no new cost to homeowners, renters, landlords, or developers—an all-around win.

·         HB 2583—Lifts the state preemption against municipal and county rent certainty programs.  We’ll never solve our homelessness and affordability crisis without having every tool available at our disposal.

·        HB 2667—The Housing and Essential Needs and Aged, Blind, and Disabled programs (HEN & ABD) are two of our most important state programs for seniors and disabled people struggling to get by.  I’m prime sponsoring this bill to prevent people from becoming homeless when their disability becomes permanent by allowing people who are receiving ABD support to also receive or retain a housing subsidy.  Under current law, people cannot use both programs despite the clear connection between the different needs each program serves.

Childcare and early learning

Affordable, high-quality childcare is an essential in modern life, especially for young parents in school, or in the early stages of a career, or who are, like so many today, working two or more jobs just to pay the rent. But the fact that it’s needed doesn’t mean it’s always available.

Dozens of childcare bills have been introduced this session, and I’ve supported those that have real promise and reflect progressive, child-positive values. It’s a short session and many good bills have fallen by the wayside already, but as of this writing, all these bills are still alive.

·         HB 2396—Encourages and assists with employer-supported childcare. Childcare at or near the workplace is a boon for children and parents, and it’s good for businesses as well. This bill also establishes a scholarship and loan-repayment program for students aiming for careers in early learning.

·         HB 2293—I’m a co-sponsor of this straightforward bill that establishes childcare centers as Gun-Free Zones.

·         HB 2764—There’s general agreement that education is one key to success in life, and this bill will eliminate a hurdle that can actually discourage parents of young children from pursuing an academic or career-training path. The Working Connections Childcare Program is highly regarded, but its requirement that recipients work a certain number of hours each week can make staying in school impossible.  With this bill, we would eliminate the work requirements for recipients who are in an educational or training program that leads to a certificate or degree.

·         HB 2367—I’m also working to pass this wide-ranging bill that, like HB 2396 mentioned earlier, hopes to incentivize employer-supported childcare.  This calls on the Department of Commerce to create a Childcare Collaborative Task Force to create options for those incentives; suggest ways to streamline permitting and licensing requirements for employers considering on-site childcare facilities; and draw up plans for a “Bring Your Infant to Work” program for public- and private-sector employers.

I’m not giving up on progressive tax code reform

I’m sure I don’t need to tell you our state has the most regressive tax system in the county; it’s a lived experience for millions of Washingtonians.  I support a progressive income tax, and have signed onto legislation (HB 2967) that will provide much needed property tax relief by enacting a progressive capital gains tax.

I had to make a difficult decision in the last legislative session to keep our government open and allow a state budget that stuck it to Seattle homeowners.  While we had two terrible options to choose from last year under a Republican Senate Majority that was unwilling to do the serious work of governing, things are different this year.  We must capitalize on this moment with the new Senate Democratic Majority to take meaningful steps to make our tax code more progressive.

This is just a very brief look into some of my priority bills. I am anticipating action on additional important issues like climate, K12 and higher education, mental health and substance use treatment, immigrant protections, and many others.

Capitol Hill Community Post | Breaking Fashion Barriers

The northwest isn’t really known for its fashion. In fact, when you think about Seattle, Birkenstocks, big chunky sweaters, cargo pants and green, tons of green probably comes to mind. While this is the chosen apparel for some Seattleites, as more tourist become residents, we are seeing fashion become multi-cultural and diverse.

Still, the fashion industry remains a bit aloof and snobby and only the “beautiful” people are let into this exclusive world. One person trying to change this is Ryan Muller. Muller, along with Bob Tomazic and Gabe Choy started a non profit called Chance Fashion and for the past 8 years, Chance has been producing a monthly fashion show that is all inclusive. No matter what your background, no matter what your weight, height or ethnicity, if you want to be involved in fashion, you’re welcome.

Though Muller doesn’t consider himself a fashionista, he has a mission in the field, “My interest in fashion is providing inclusive opportunities to fashion artists of all types, as a counter-culture effort to the traditionally exclusive mainstream fashion industry,” said Muller. “This is why I started Chance and what makes Chance different than any other fashion events. We’ll include anybody that is willing to show up and do the work. I started Chance June of 2009. Eventually I see Chance existing anywhere anybody is told they’re not good enough to be a part of fashion events.”

For Muller, the organization is a way of life and what he dedicates a majority of his soul to, “While most would consider it a labor of love, I consider it a labor of duty to the environment around me,” said Muller. “I believe we need more open-source resources like Chance that allow aspiring artists to break into the industry while also accommodating the needs of established artists in order to fully make the community grow as a whole.”

The staff is of utmost importance. Muller spent a lot of time producing Chance by himself, and it’s only been within the last couple years that they’ve actually grown their staff. “Its been effective enough to allow me to spend more time with the Board of Directors trying to evolve the sustainability side of the Organization,” said Muller. “Even somebody taking a 1-hour-a-week responsibility off my plate frees me up to do bigger and better things for the Org as a whole.”

Muller has more than Chance Fashion to promote the arts including Active Entertainment, AMDEF, Art on the Rocks, and Performers Anonymous are where he spends a majority of his time and dedication. He keeps several side jobs to help keep up on bills because they haven’t reached a point of sustainability yet.

However, Muller isn’t in this for the money, “I think my focus on providing opportunities to an inclusive community comes from being relatively poor growing up. Don’t get me wrong, I had spectacular parents and never wanted for any necessity, but I understood what it meant to be excluded just because I couldn’t afford things,” said Muller “I think producing events / providing opportunities to aspiring artists is my way of contributing to building a healthier, more inclusive community as a whole.”

Muller has no immediate plans except to keep on doing what he has for the past eight years, “I will run Chance until somebody presents themselves as a formidable replacement, until I’m dead, or until I go insane trying to make it a self-sustained organization,” said Muller. “Aside from franchising Chance everywhere, my biggest goals in the most immediate future pertain to stabilizing the organization. The biggest goal, however, is to make the world a more beautiful and inclusive place.”

Join Chance Fashion on February 10 from 7 to 10 pm at Neighbours for the Lingerie Edition.

Capitol Hill Community Post | Mayor Durkan Announces Members of City’s New Small Business Advisory Council

From the Office of the Mayor Jenny Durkan
Mayor Jenny A. Durkan today announced the members of the City’s new Small Business Advisory Council (SBAC), a group tasked with ensuring small businesses have a role in informing policies and programs, and have the access to resources they need to thrive and be part of the solutions to the challenges of growth and Seattle’s affordability crisis. The SBAC, established by Mayor Durkan in an Executive Order in November, will provide input on the impact of City decisions, make policy recommendations, and help increase access to tools and resources available to small businesses including arts and culture organizations. The inaugural meeting of the SBAC will be held on February 21, 2018. Continue reading

Capitol Hill Community Post | RINGS, RINGS, and Lots of other Things

SEATTLE METALS GUILD – Womens’ Shelter Jewelry Project Fundraiser
RINGS, RINGS, and Lots of other Things
A sale of donated jewelry to benefit women’s shelters in the Seattle area
All money taken in goes directly to the shelters

Date: February 11, 2018
Time: 10 am – 5 pm
1902 South Main Street
Seattle, WA 98144

The items for sale have all been donated by women in the Seattle area. Items will be priced from $10 – $200. This sale will be unusual in that you may donate MORE if you wish.

In addition there will be several pieces that will be raffled off – a Micki Lippe necklace, a Tanna Acton bracelet and a few others. All items came in the donations.

Jewelry and monetary DONATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED the day of the sale. Clean out your jewelry box and ask your friends to do the same. We take ANYTHING and EVERYTHING. Broken, tarnished, we take it. So – come and donate some of the jewelry you have been wearing – and buy something NEW!!

The jewelry presented for this sale is a broad range of styles from many different countries, in many different materials. There are brooches, necklaces, bracelets, earrings and rings.

All jewelry is very reasonably priced with most items in the $40 price range.

Credit cards and cash preferred

ALL SALES ARE FINAL

Capitol Hill Community Post | Pullman.vs.Paxton Productions Brings Heathers To Seattle As A Benefit For It Gets Better Project

“Well f#!*$ me gently with a chainsaw!” Heathers is finally coming to Seattle! The artistic team behind independent theater company, Pullman.vs.Paxton Productions, proudly announces their upcoming staging of Heathers The Musical (based on the 1988 cult classic film by Daniel Waters). From April 6-15, PVP is turning the Erickson Theatre Off-Broadway into the 1980s technicolor battleground of Westerburg High School, all in support of Dan Savage and Terry Miller’s It Gets Better Project.

Heathers Synopsis: Best friends, social trends and occasional murder. It’s September 1989 in Sherwood, OH. On account of her uncanny forgery skills, smart girl Veronica Sawyer (played by Chloe Rain Roberts) is taken into the tight circle of Westerberg High’s most popular girls known as the Heathers (because, duh, they’re all named Heather). But with social popularity comes a level of cruelty that Veronica can’t stomach, and she quietly defects from the inner circle. Hooking up with moody bad boy, Jason “J.D.” Dean (played by Danny Denial of local band DARK SMITH), she becomes complicit in his homicidal takedowns of the school’s popular crowd. Wickedly funny, oddly romantic, relentlessly intense, and occasionally powerful, this is a surprisingly truthful parable for anyone who’s ever been in love, in trouble, or in high school.

Ticket and bar sales from this event will benefit the It Gets Better Project, a nonprofit organization (with Seattle roots) whose mission is to uplift, empower, and connect lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer youth around the globe. Much like the central themes in Heathers, IGB understands growing up isn’t easy, especially when you are trying to affirm and assert your sexual orientation and/or gender identity. “We chose IGB as our charity this time around because amid the gags and riffs and cool girl antics, Heathers sucker-punches you with this story-that feeling of not fitting in, of being the odd person out,” says PVP Founder and Executive Director, Dustin Schisler. “What we are hoping to highlight is so clear in IGB’s mission statement – even though [growing up] can be a challenging and isolating process -the good news is, no one has to do it alone. And in addition to top-notch performances on stage in April, you can expect to see an amazing outreach of support from our cast on PVP’s social media as we lead up to opening night. We plan to feature interviews and videos of the actor’s own stories and advice for youth who are struggling to find hope and inspiration. Bottom line: We want people as involved in this important cause as they are in enjoying the dark genius of Kevin Murphy and Lawrence O’Keefe’s adaptation of Heathers.”

Pullman.vs.Paxton’s take on the show also features the talents of Jordan Sloan Frost as Heather Chandler, Yena Han as Heather MacNamara, Simone Alene as Heather Duke, M. Keala Milles, Jr. as Ram Sweeney, Nate McVicker (catch him on stage of Mamma Mia at the 5th Avenue Theatre in February) as Kurt Kelly, Hannah Knapp-Jenkins as Martha Dunnstock, Lauren Trew (of local bands The Fog Horns and The James Apollo Five) as Ms. Fleming/Veronica’s Mom, Clay Frost as Principal Gowan/Veronica’s Dad/Kurt’s Dad, Michael Loudon as Coach Ripper/Big Bud Dean/Ram’s Dad, Maddie Brantz as Young Republicanette, Victoria Champion as Stoner Chick, Emily Welter as Goth Girl, Preston Black as Blowdried Preppy, Dustin Schisler as Bitter Geek, and Don Zhang as Hipster Dork.

About Pullman.vs.Paxton: Pullman.vs.Paxton Productions is a Seattle based 501c3 non-profit Production Company focused on musical theater works. Our artistic selections speak to our vision of what a theater-going experience should be in 2018 – uninhibited and disruptive. Rule breaking. A large portion of our proceeds from each production are donated to LGBTQ+ and LGBTQ+ ally non-profit agencies such as Peace for the Streets by Kids from the Streets, Gay City Health Project, It Gets Better Project, Freedom to Marry, and Human Rights Campaign.

Our Past: From 2011-2015, along with our former partner Jack Chandelier, we worked as the Executive and Artistic Directors of Chandelier Productions. In that time, our shows raised needed funds for many organizations, including Peace for the Streets by Kids from the Streets (2015), Gay City Health Project (2012/2013), and the It Gets Better Project (2011). We have had a lot of success with “one-night only” or short run productions in music venues and non-traditional theater spaces in Seattle including “The Rocky Horror Show” at the Showbox Market and Washington Hall (raising over $8,000 for Gay City) and a sell-out performance of “Hedwig & The Angry Inch” at The Crocodile in 2011 (where in conjunction with Rudy’s Barbershop, The Stranger, and Cupcake Royale, we raised more than $10,000 for IGB Project).

Tickets available at https://heathersseattle.brownpapertickets.com/. For additional information and updates, visit www.pullmanvspaxton.org, “LIKE” us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/pullmanvspaxton, or follow us on Instagram at @pullmanvspaxton.

Capitol Hill Community Post | Ride Sound Transit and Metro to the Seattle Women’s March 2.0; expect crowds

From Sound Transit

The Women’s March is expected to start at 10 a.m. with a rally at Cal Anderson Park. The march is expected to begin at 11 a.m. and proceed through downtown to Seattle Center. Transit riders should prepare for significant delays before, during and after the march.

Sound Transit plans to operate extra Link light rail trains to help serve expected crowds using the Capitol Hill Station adjacent to Cal Anderson Park. Those planning to take Link to the march can ride light rail from 15 other stations between the University of Washington and Angle Lake. Customers also can ride Metro and Sound Transit to downtown and join the march from there.

Metro will operate on a normal Saturday schedule and will have additional buses as needed on routes 8, 41, 44, 101, 150, 255, RapidRide C, D, and E Lines. ST Express Routes 512, 550 and 554 will also operate extra service, and additional buses for Pierce County riders will be available as needed.

Extra Metro buses do not have schedules, will not appear in the Metro’s online Trip Planner or One Bus Away, and will be dispatched based on demand. Riders should prepare for overcrowding and for some buses that are too full to accommodate more passengers.

In addition, beginning at noon, Fourth Avenue will close north of Pike Street to all traffic for the duration of the march. ST Express and Metro buses will be rerouted, and ST Express Route 512 will truncate at Westlake Station.

Detailed information on bus service during the march is available at Sound Transit’s rider alerts page and Metro’s Service Advisories page.

Transit riders should use regularly published timetables, plan ahead, allow plenty of time and prepare for traffic delays. Metro will have extra supervisors to monitor crowds in downtown, the International District, and Pioneer Square, and will adjust to accommodate transit needs when possible.

After the event, Metro will provide shuttles from the west side of Seattle Center, northbound on First Avenue North at Harrison Street, for people wishing to return to the central downtown area.

Use online timetables or Metro’s online Trip Planner to find bus service to Capitol Hill or University of Washington Link stations. Bus service that travels to or near these areas includes Metro routes 8, 10, 11, 12, 31, 32, 43, 44, 45, 47, 48, 49, 60, 65, 67, 71, 73, 75, 271 and 372. Sound Transit Route 545 serves both Montlake Freeway Station and downtown Seattle for connections with other service.

More than 330,000 rides were logged on Metro and Sound Transit during the 2017 Womxn’s March, which contributed to a record Saturday ridership on Link light rail of 80,000 boardings.

Transit users can also follow these tips:

• Plan to arrive early to avoid traffic congestion and full buses.
  • Prepare for overcrowding on buses.
  • If possible, ride light rail to Capitol Hill station and walk into the park.
  • Prepare for significant delays – as thousands march through downtown, buses may be stopped up to an hour at some locations.
  • Have your transit fare or an ORCA card ready, or download a ticket to your phone through the Transit Go mobile ticketing app.

RELEVANT LINKS

Sound Transit Trip Planner

King County Metro Trip Planner

Metro’s Service Advisories page

Transit Go mobile