Capitol Hill Community Post | Stevens Elementary School PTA Holiday Tree & Greenery Sale is back on for 2021

From the Stevens Elementary School PTA
The PTA has been running this sale for something like 30+ years. After skipping last year due to COVID-19, our holiday tree and greenery fundraiser has returned. You can preorder your tree online now and then pick up the tree during the popup event. Standard doorstep, as well as white glove, delivery is available to the 98112, 98102 and 98122 area codes.

Popup Hours: 6-8pm Friday, December 3rd and 10am-1pm Saturday, December 4th.

Pre-order now:
http://bit.ly/caphill-tree-sale

Please remember your mask! 1242 18th Ave E, Seattle, WA 98112 Continue reading

Capitol Hill Community Post | When do you want your library to be open? Take SPL’s survey

The Capitol Hill Branch on its reopening day (Image: The Seattle Public Library)

From the Seattle Public Library

In 2019, Seattle voters overwhelmingly passed a levy to expand The Seattle Public Library’s hours and services, as well as ending overdue fines. Now that all Library locations are reopened, it is planning ahead for how to use levy-supported funds to expand hours and wants to hear from you. When do you want your neighborhood library to be open? What Library services are important to your community?

Let the Library know what you want by taking the brief survey at www.spl.org/LevySurvey. If you visit a Library branch, you can also use a computer to take the survey or ask for a paper copy. The survey is available in eight languages and is open until Monday, Nov. 8, 2021. If you have questions, call 206-386-4636 or contact www.spl.org/ask.

Capitol Hill Community Post | City of Seattle to Open Applications for $4 Million in Small Business Stabilization Fund Grants

From the Office of the Mayor
With SBA Administrator Isabella Guzman, Mayor Jenny A. Durkan announced that the City will now accept applications for the Small Business Stabilization Fund (SBSF) provided by the Seattle Office of Economic Development (OED). OED will award an additional $4 million in grants to help stabilize micro and small businesses negatively impacted by COVID-19 as the City transitions from emergency response to economic recovery. This new round of the SBSF will provide $5,000, $10,000 and $20,000 grants to be used on operational expenses such as rent, wages and equipment. Applications will be accepted from October 19, 2021, through November 9, 2021, at 11:59 p.m.

“Over the last 20 months, the COVID-19 pandemic and the resulting economic crisis has had an undeniable impact on our small business community in every neighborhood across Seattle. From the initial days of the pandemic, the City of Seattle, and the Office of Economic Development has worked hard to support our City’s vibrant small businesses and provide financial assistance to those who need it the most,” Said Mayor Jenny Durkan. “Because of the disproportionate impacts of the COVID-19 crisis on our black, indigenous and people of color communities, we have focused our programs to support businesses owned and operated by women and owners of color. As we look ahead to recovery and building back better, programs like our Small Business Stabilization Fund will be integral to Seattle’s equitable reopening and recovery.”

To date, OED has awarded over $10 million in direct funding to nearly 1,500 small businesses who have been impacted by the economic downturn of COVID-19 throughout Seattle. Continue reading

Capitol Hill Community Post | Tracing The Rocket’s Capitol Hill vapor trails

By Todd Matthews

The COVID-19 pandemic led many people to take up new hobbies—solving jigsaw puzzles, baking bread, or bingeing Netflix shows—to curb boredom and anxiety. As a longtime journalist and Capitol Hill resident interested in local history, I opted to collect and read old issues of The Rocket, the music and culture magazine launched on Capitol Hill in 1979.

The magazine occupies a special place in local music history. Sub Pop Records’ roots trace back to the label’s co-founder, Bruce Pavitt, and the column he wrote for The Rocket. Before achieving rock stardom with Nirvana, Kurt Cobain picked up The Rocket at a record store in his hometown of Aberdeen, Washington. In the late-1980s, while searching for a drummer, Cobain placed a classified advertisement in The Rocket, and Nirvana scored its first-ever magazine cover with The Rocket‘s December 1989 issue. The band even used the magazine’s typesetting machine to design its iconic logo. The Simpsons creator Matt Groening and MAD magazine’s Don Martin illustrated covers for The Rocket. In addition, The New Yorker staff writer Susan Orlean, best-selling author and National Book Award Finalist Katherine Dunn, and NPR music critic Ann Powers (while she was still in high school) wrote for The Rocket.

The final issue of The Rocket published on October 18, 2000. Flipping through 40-year-old issues with my ink-stained fingers, I felt like I was popping open time capsules and peering inside to learn more about a city and neighborhood that I thought I knew after living here for 30 years. Continue reading

Capitol Hill Community Post | The Valley School Climate Strike

The Valley School, a small independent school boarding Madison Valley and the Central District in Seattle took the morning of September 24th, 2021 to march in support of Fridays for Future. 114 students, plus a number of staff members, made signs, created chants, and 5th graders made personal climate pledges. In addition the 4th-grade class made a classroom climate pledge to ensure that they are doing their part to be less wasteful and more mindful of how we are using our school resources.

Students marched in mixed-age groups, stopping traffic and receiving affirmation from the public’s honking horns, waves from passing cars, and a compost trunk gave a loud shout out with a powerful pull on the horn of the truck. The march took students from the school at 30th Avenue East and Thomas, south on 30th, west on John, north on Martin Luther King Jr. Way to Julia Lee’s Park. Where students gathered to chant, “What do we want, climate justice, when do we want it, now”, hear pledges read, and experience the impact of bringing attention to their future with the support of their peers and the public.

Ethan from PreK said, “I had a sign that said strike bus and we marched to save the earth. At first, I was a little nervous, but then it made sense. I liked it.”Ethan added that he and his dad could go in a boat with a net and gather up all the garbage from the ocean. Jake in 4th grade and Emeline from 5th grade said, “I loved it when we got honks. It felt good because it meant people supported us and it was very motivating.” Lincoln in 3rd grade emphasized what others were saying, “I like the horn honking it felt good to be recognized and we were trying to make a difference.”

Further feedback from the 5th-grade class came from Henry, ” it was fun and it was making a difference. It was good to do it with all of the students, especially the really young kids because we were leading by example.” Joseph “shared he felt relief when the cars honked, it felt like people were acknowledging us and agreeing with it us. Power in numbers.” Myla added “we raised our signs we raised our voices, people noticed us and agreed with our message. We are meant to pay it forward and inspire others.” And finally, Rieder added, “we stopped traffic like make way for the ducklings, climate change ducklings.”

Taking part in the Fridays for Future March was The Valley Schools kickoff event to our focus on Environmental Justice for the school 2021-2022.

Capitol Hill Community Post | Aloha Community Art Museum Exhibit Opening Tonight

(Image: Aloha Community Art Museum)

From the Aloha Community Art Museum

Starting this week the Aloha Community Art Museum will be exhibiting watercolor paintings by Lulu Anderson, with an opening gala on Friday, September 24th from 7 to 8:30 pm. In addition to having art on display, there will be live music provided by local DJ Cherry White and a limited number of prints that Lulu has generously donated for attendees to take home. Continue reading

Capitol Hill Community Post | The Seattle Public Library’s 2020 Impact Report Highlights Library’s COVID Response, Digital Collection

From Seattle Public Libraries

In 2020, The Seattle Public Library eliminated overdue fines; increased its digital collection; and transformed every aspect of its work in the face of a global pandemic.

Those are a few highlights of the Library’s 2020 Impact Report, an annual accounting of the Library’s performance and impact on the community.

“In March of 2020, The Seattle Public Library faced an unprecedented question,” wrote interim Chief Librarian Tom Fay and Library Board President Jay Reich in the report’s introductory message. “How does a large urban library system continue to serve its communities during a pandemic, when library buildings are closed, and patrons and staff alike are facing challenges ranging from economic disruptions to child care, social isolation and even COVID itself? This report tells the story of how Library staff set about answering that question, with the support and guidance of our communities.”

The Impact Report, published digitally at www.spl.org/impact, includes key Library statistics, a month-by-month timeline of the Library’s COVID response, as well as summaries of the Library’s impact in five areas: expanding Library accessstudent successadult learningsmall business support, and civic and cultural engagement.

KEY HIGHLIGHTS FROM THE 2020 IMPACT REPORT

–        Overdue fines eliminated, 51,000 accounts restored: Starting on Jan. 2, 2020, the Library no longer charged daily late fines for overdue materials, which restored an estimated 51,000 accounts of patrons whose Library accounts had been suspended. All outstanding late fines were also cleared. Continue reading

Capitol Hill Community Post | Aloha Community Art Museum Exhibition Opening – Friday, July 30

From the Aloha Community Art Museum

This Friday, the Aloha Community Art Museum is delighted to host the opening celebration of a solo exhibition by Friedel Fisher (@agoraborealis on Instagram). Please join us between 7 and 8:30 pm to meet the artist, view their amazing art, and enjoy some tiny snacks. Fancy dress is encouraged but not mandatory. Masks are required for all attendees who are not fully vaccinated.

Friedel Fisher is a queer, life long multi-media artist, dedicated to exploring physical, emotional, and spiritual boundaries with their work, allowing creativity to be their primary guide for shadow integration, trauma mastery and creating a liminal existence outside the performativity of all binary legibilities.

The Aloha Community Art Museum (@alohaartmuseum on instagram) is located in the alley between 17th Ave E and 18th Ave E just north of E Aloha St on Capitol Hill. The museum is dedicated to encouraging creativity in everyone, and celebrates the work of local artists of all ages and experience.

PLEASE HELP KEEP CHS PAYWALL-FREE!
Subscribe to CHS to help us pay writers and photographers to cover the neighborhood. CHS is a pay what you can community news site with no required sign-in or paywall. Become a subscriber to help us cover the neighborhood for as little as $5 a month.

Capitol Hill Community Post | For Transparency And Empathy

(Image: Jessica Rycheal)

From Andrew Grant Houston

This Monday, conservative blogger Jason Rantz published a hit piece, alleging I intentionally refused to pay rent amid the fallout of a pandemic that laid off, unhoused, and killed millions in our country. The only “exclusive” it contained is that Rantz hasn’t been listening to the multitude of times I’ve talked about my rental debt online and during forums for the past six months and a lack of true understanding as to just what is happening to myself and to our community.

Over the pandemic, 200,000 Washingtonians have accumulated over a billion dollars of rent debts in our state. In a city where homelessness has been declared an emergency that has only gotten worse, it’s immoral and petty to belittle me, the only candidate in this race whose net worth isn’t six figures or more, the only candidate who doesn’t own a home, and the youngest candidate (who represents Seattleites in ways others in this race cannot) simply because I’m one of these people. I am currently experiencing the precarious condition that many renters live in—where one catastrophe can make them another homelessness statistic in our leadership’s failed response. Continue reading