Man stuck between buildings rescued on 12th Ave

(Image: Alex Garland for CHS)

(Image: Alex Garland for CHS)

Firefighters rescued a man found unresponsive and trapped between two buildings near 12th and Madison Thursday morning.

Seattle Fire Department rescue crews were called to the scene at Trace Lofts North just after 9 AM, where the male patient was found unresponsive in a narrow area about five-foot across, according to a SFD spokesperson.

A technical rescue team was able to lift the man out using a rope system, then navigated him through a first floor unit window. The patient was alert following the rescue and did not appear to have any significant injuries from a fall.

Medics determined the man suffered from a seizure, but were unclear why he was between the two buildings, the SFD spokesperson said.

Mattress fire reported in Summit/Harrison apartment blaze

A mattress fire in a basement unit of a small E Harrison apartment building brought a massive Seattle Fire response to the Summit Slope area of Capitol Hill just after 11 AM Wednesday.

The smoky fire was quickly brought under control and there were no reported injuries.

A Seattle Fire spokesperson said that while the investigation at the scene was still underway, early reports indicated that a heater inside the unit caused the mattress to catch fire. He reminded CHS readers to check their residences to make sure all items are at least three feet away from any type of heating device.

SFD quickly tackles Bellevue Ave E apartment fire

Seattle Fire responded quickly Thursday morning to a blaze inside a second-story unit in the Erawan Apartments at 421 Bellevue Ave E.

Responding units arrived to the 8:25 AM callout to find smoke coming from the back of the six-story building. Ladder 10 and a large contingent of assisting units had the fire “tapped” and out by 8:36 AM.

One patient was being evaluated at the scene. The fire marshal was dispatched to the scene just above the morning’s traffic-clogged I-5 to determine the fire’s cause.

UPDATE:  The cause of the Bellevue Ave E fire was unattended food on the stove, Seattle Fire tells us. The damage estimate is $7,000. Medics evaluated the resident but he declined treatment.