- E Mercer mental crisis: A man suffering a mental crisis armed himself with a knife and threatened to harm himself and officers in a situation that was ultimately resolved without any significant injuries in the early hours of Saturday morning near 10th and Mercer. According to eyewitness accounts provided to CHS and SPD’s report on the incident, a man known to police for mental health crisis episodes called 911 late Friday night. Arriving officers found him in the garage at the location reportedly armed with a kitchen knife and making threats he would harm himself and police. More officers were called to the scene as a standoff situation and negotiation efforts took place for about an hour. Police say the man eventually dropped the knife and he was overtaken by officers and taken into custody without reported injuries. The man was taken to Harborview for evaluation and could face charges in the incident, police say.
- 16th/Denny robbery: A woman reported she was robbed by a group of two or three armed assailants just before midnight Friday near 16th and Denny. According to East Precinct radio reports, the victim told police she was robbed by the male suspects who reportedly were aggressively panhandling in the area before the robbery. The victim said the suspect were carrying a handgun and took her phone and backpack before fleeing southbound on 16th Ave. The suspects were described as two or three black males in their teens or early 20s. There were no reported injuries and no immediate arrests.
- Broadway mugging: A man who was mugged early Sunday morning sought refuge at Swedish First Hill where he called police about the 1:45 AM street robbery at Broadway and John. According to East Precinct radio dispatches, the muggers took keys and belongings from the victim. The suspects were described only as a black male and a white male wearing hoodies.
- 18th Ave E burglary search: Police searched the area around 18th and Thomas late Sunday night and early Monday morning after officers were able to disrupt an apparent break-in attempt at an area home thanks to a 911 call from neighbors. According to police radio reports, officers were called to a home in the 300 block of 18th Ave E where an officer found a group of burglars in the backyard of the house. One suspect was taken into custody immediately while another apparently was tracked down in the search that followed. A third suspect was able to elude police who searched the are for blocks including near St. Joe’s church where a K9 unit found a male in the bushes who was camping, not hiding from police. One of the suspects taken into custody was a teen girl while another was a teenage male, according to radio updates. Police also found a red Corolla left running nearby that they believe was involved in the attempted burglary.
- 20 is plenty: Police were called but we’re not aware of any officer being sent out after a Denny-Blaine resident was reported to be spraying her hose at passing motorists driving faster than 20 MPH. According to East Precinct radio dispatches, the incident was first reported around 1 PM on Thursday, June 28th. There were no injuries reported and no reported arrests.
UPDATE: YAY! We're back above 700 subscribers! Join the club! Consider becoming a subscriber at $1/$5/$10 a month to help CHS provide community news. Help push us back to the 700 mark... and beyond You can also sign up for a one-time annual payment.