While it wasn’t record setting, Thursday’s upper 80s heat did bring a big Seattle Fire response to the busy corner of Broadway and John when the heating, ventilation, and air conditioning system inside the corner’s drugstore started puffing out smoke.
SFD units were called to the 200-block Broadway E Rite Aid just before 5:30 PM to reports of smoke in the store and quickly identified the source as the building’s HVAC system. Firefighters quickly brought the situation into hand and helped clear smoke from the building but subsequent power issues at the intersection left a group of residents stuck inside a neighboring building’s elevator — and probably caused a few sleepless nights on the warm evening.
There were no reported injuries.
Monday marked the tenth anniversary of Seattle’s hottest recorded **official** temperature at 103 F. Here are a few pictures CHS posted from that day in 2009.