See something others should know about? Email CHS or call/txt (206) 399-5959. You can view recent CHS 911 coverage here. Hear sirens and wondering what’s going on? Check out Twitter reports from @jseattle or tune into the CHS Scanner page.
- Pedestrian hit: A 26-year-old woman was taken to the hospital in stable condition and a 41-year-old driver was arrested for suspicion of DUI in collision Wednesday night on E Madison at 14th Ave. According to SPD and Seattle Fire, the driver reportedly struck the woman as she crossed the street just before 9:30 PM Wednesday night. Her injuries were reported as non-life threatening. SPD says the driver was evaluated and booked for suspicion of driving under the influence.
- ‘Road rage’ shooting victim: The New Year’s Eve shooting in the Central District previously reported by CHS was part of a road rage incident, the victim told police, according to the SPD report on the assault. According to the report, the victim said he was dropped off at Uncle Ike’s at 23rd and Union after being shot in the chest along Lake Washington Blvd because his friend works security at the pot shop. The victim was transported to Harborview in critical condition.
- Harborview gunshot victims: Police say the new year started at Harborview with a shooting victim arriving just before 1:30 AM. According to SPD, the victim arrived on foot and walked into the medical center to be treated. The victim provided little information to police, SPD says, telling officers he had been shot somewhere in the International District. Police could not locate a shooting scene and there were no arrests. Meanwhile, an early Tuesday morning arrival of a gunshot victim at Harborview is also being investigated. Police say the victim was dropped off at the First Hill trauma center just before 5 AM with a gunshot wound to his leg. The victim had difficulty telling police what had happened due to his injuries. According to the SPD report, the victim said he remembered arguing with another male and then waking up at the hospital. SPD did not have more information about the circumstance of where the shooting occured.
- Sledgehammer crisis: Police were called to assist with a crisis situation involving a resident at the Community House Mental Health Agency at 22nd and Jackson just before 10 AM Monday. According to the SPD report on the incident, the patient was armed with a sledgehammer and was knocking holes in an apartment floor and damaging pipes causing water to drip from light fixtures to the floor below. SPD says the Crisis Response Team, Hostage Negotiation Team, and SWAT were called to the scene and the patient was “taken into custody without force.” He was eventually booked for malicious mischief. Police say he caused around $30,000 in damage.
- E Cherry crash: SPD has released details of a serious crash involving three vehicles on the ice and snow-slickened E Cherry last Thursday morning. According to the SPD report, around 8:30 AM, the first vehicle was speeding eastbound on Cherry when the driver attempted to pass a slower moving vehicle by swerving into the westbound lane. The first vehicle struck an oncoming car in the westbound lane head-on. SPD says the driver of the speeding vehicle was trapped, unconscious, and sustained serious injuries. The driver and passenger of the other vehicle struck in the crash sustained fractures. The patients were transported to Harborview. SPD’s traffic investigators were reviewing the case.
SUBSCRIBE AND KEEP CHS PAYWALL-FREE -- $1/$5/$10
We love providing community news on CHS free for thousands of readers. What sustains the effort are voluntary subscriptions from paying supporters. If you are enjoying CHS, SUBSCRIBE HERE and help keep CHS available to all. Become a subscriber at $1/$5/$10 a month to help CHS provide community news with no paywall. You can also sign up for a one-time annual payment.